Thermal Pad or Thermal Paste?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, Jun 25, 2005.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

yeah it should, if not get a plastic credit card or something and scrape it off. As long as the material you're scraping is softer than steel and has a straigh dull edge you'll be fine. You should be able to get rubbind alcohol at a supermarket or something.

what you really need is Isopropyl Alcohol. It's actually the cleanser in rubbing alcohol. It's also easily broken down. So keep it out of direct light, avoid motion and heat.

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

aha cool, well i got some of those things on order from my list i posted on here, got the cpu cooler, artic silver 5, and some extra lights, it should be here within a few days, i'll search for some Isopropyl Alcohol then, a high % of that as well? as high as i can find?

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

thats what I was looking for, I was gonna say ethyl but I didnt know if I was right, ISOPRYL, thats it haha

4. ninja fetus

99% shouldn't be hard to find online or at a chemist shop, but I can only find 70% and 86% in supermarkets.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

aha well i going into town in the morning 2moro before school in afternoon, i'll try and find some there, then hide it at school somewhere

6. ninja fetus

heh be sure to not smell it either. It's strong stuff. It will start to boil and exploid if left in a closed container in direct sunlight :)

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

hmmm, i may just wait and get it from the chemists down the road then...

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

9. ninja fetus

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea that thing looks pretty sweet, but my stock chipset cooler does the job so I don't need one, but if I did that is nice.

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

YOU HAD TO SAY THAT????

great, I'm struggling myself to hold back now, if anything I'll post a video haha :good:

12. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Hell I thought the same thing. I'm definately gonna do it.

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

coll, i got that chipset cooler on order as well, for my northbridge as my one is very loud and spins at 6000RPM this one is slower (5000RPM) and very quiet at only 20.03 dB(A), then after all that i will get my fan controller, memory and PSU (when i get more money that is) then all shall be complete until i next do a major upgrade on mobo, cpu and get another hdd, this computer will only be with me for another year, then i go to university and will not take it with me, too much hassle lugging it backwards and forwards, so i decided i shall buy a laptop and use that at university, then use and upgrade this for my brother when i come home

14. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

pad + paste = twice the cooling! :D

so i say both. seriously tho i do use both. and temps have been great.

15. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

ahh cool, well i jus gona stick to paste, the computer shop where i was at swore by it and i think its gr8, i dont like pads, they get on my nerves as they r a pain to remove afterwards, paste is the way forward and AS5 is gona take us there :p

16. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

i like paste alot and agree :) i was just to lazy to take the pad off the heatsink that came with my processor so i threw some paste on and slapped that sucker on there. done and done :)

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

lol, it should be here 2moro if not then wednesday, overclockers.co.uk are usually quick with dispatch so i'll take some pictures and show ya'll what it looks like when done. i'm hoping my cpu will stay cool but the fans will be quieter, my stock hsf dropped the idle temp to 26*C the other day, however it is very loud all the time so this new one i am hoping will keep temps down and noise to a mininum, and i liked the look of the chipset cooler, very small and with blue lights and i thought its cheap so lets try it!

18. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

Doesn't everyone advise NOT to do that?
    Or do they want to hide the cooling secret for themselves?

19. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yea, I wonder if he has actually tested the temperatures?

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

i got ym stuff through, it only took me about 20 mins, althuogh gettin the cpu hsf on was a bit of a struggle, the clips are hard to clip on but when its in its solid, doesnt move (which is a good thing) ITS ENORMOUS! i mean it takes up so much space, and my computer is damn near silent now, no more thinking i have a hurricane going on under my desk, also my cpu temps are the same, in fact its idling a bit lower now, (about 30*C) which is good, the arctic silver was easy to apply, i wiped the old stuff off (there wasnt a lot) and applied new stuff, northbridge cooler is quiet as well, all is good :D (i'll post pics when i take some)