Think I'm stupid?

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Fred, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Fred

Fred Moderator

For any of you that think I am stupid but didn't want to say anything... Now is your moment of truth. Behold! I fried my computer! I was running memtest on my ram to see which one was bad, and after I was done (I found which particular one was bad), I put the good one back in and started my compy back up... Well, turned out I hadn't put the RAM in all the way :eek:hah: MORON!!!!! So there is a burn mark on my RAM now (the only good stick) and Im almost positive that I fried my Mobo... It wont post, even with the other stick. So, I guess my mobo is fried, maybe my cpu and who knows what else!And I dont have a job right now, so it'll be a while before I can afford to fix my system :x: I hate life.. Here's a pic (from my cell phone) of the ram.. hope you can tell.
    Here's the RAM The black mark is the burn.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ah, jeeze, I feel for you Fred. That's a major downer right there, don't blame yourself though dude, it's a very simple mistake, any expert could have slipped up. If you need any help looking for new stuff (when you earn the $) let me know. Well you probably didn't kill your drives, your video card is most likely (and hopefully) okay too, and you've still got the monior, case, mouse/k-board too so it's not all over. With a few hundred bucks you'll have your stuff back and you'll be folding away! I don't make any money on a regular basis either but I'm sure this summer you'll rack up the cash bud.
    Oh and just out of curiosity what computer are you using now? Do you have another in your house?

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

Well, first of all... I probably just did something stupid - I just ordered the new motherboard. $120 that I shoudn't be spending... Oh well! Everybody I know is going to say "YOU'RE AN IDIOT!" but I'm ok with that, because I love my computer :D I guess I'll have to not eat for a while. As for the "what computer are you using?" I am actually currently using AT's brother's computer. I also have a laptop, but it is REALLY slow, so im not going to bother. I should be getting my new mobo in a few days, and I will see if anything else is broken from there. Well, hope I can find a job soon or I'll be walking to school and shutting off my cell phone :x:

4. Fred

Fred Moderator

By the way, thanks for the offer anyways, Ex.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That wasn't dumb dude, I love my computer too (usually) and if I fried it I'd do all I could to replace the dead components. Man, it seems like everyone actually gets to see eachother in a face to face basic here , I wish I lived closer to everyone here, I'm probably the only one from Maine on this entire site.
    PS, what mobo did you get?

6. Fred

Fred Moderator

Sounds to me like you need to get a friend to join the site :p

I ended out getting the same mobo because my kernel is already custom compiled for it- Asus Deluxe K8T800 Pro here it is

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

damn that sucks. I just did something similar to my counterstrike server PC last weekend. Still havent figured out what's all wrong with it :(

8. Fred

Fred Moderator

:(

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah totally, I would but the only two that were even worth bothering to ask "didn't know enough about hardware", they're gamers really, unfortunately they weren't won over by the PC/console gaming section either, losers...

10. ninja fetus

Once I think about it, just about everyone I know has fried something major on their pc and just what do you know it's always when you've got no money.

11. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

not stupid just a mistake it happens to everyone, I managed to fry my hard disk logic board while installing a new HD last year, though I was lucky as I managed to backup all the important stuff before installing.

12. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The stupidest thing I've ever done was using Maxtors in a file server... Still haven't recovered all the data from that incident. :O

Oh, and I cracked the heat spreader on a first-gen Duron too. Still worked for about 5 years, but it fell apart when the heatsync was removed. :eek:hah:

13. Fred

Fred Moderator

*Phew* So I'm only mostly stupid. ;) Still sucks that I have to buy the new stuff though

14. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

lol its funny how even in your moment of "despair" you have time to update your "My Computer" :p

15. ninja fetus

I've fried a geforce fx5200 PCI, ECS l7S7A2 motherboard, 2600+ barton, by dropping screws or screwdrivers :)

16. matttibb

matttibb Geek Trainee

I'm not competent/confident enough to actually mess about with the insides of my computer because I know i'll do something like that. Hey Exfo don't worry, I've never met anyone in here either!

17. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol yeah i noticed that too..unlucky fred. Hope ur pc works with ur new mobo :)

18. ninja fetus

If you've got more problems, and won't have nearly enough money for a while... I've got a socket A ECS L7S7A2 fully working with some ram that I would part with if you pay shipping.

19. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've done the exact same thing to RAM once...yeah, RAM that's not in all the way is a slight problem. Mine was some cheap SDRAM, not some Corsair XMS...ouch!

20. Addis

Addis The King

Oh well I made a mistake by sticking with a cheap generic PSU (although my current one isn't much better). My PC worked wonderfully for a few months and then when my PSU died i replaced the mobo instead, then found out i had to repace the PSU and then my new mobo wouldn't work with my gfx card. RAM not in all the way is a classic.