to linux and back again...

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by stinkfing3r, Nov 15, 2005.

1. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

hey i had an extra storage drive in my comp when i went to linux and back.. that probably messed everything i had in the storage drive up eh? it was just a butt load of anime so its no biggie but i cant seem to access the storage drive anymore. i have the software to get it going again but i must format.. its probably all lost eh?

2. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

If you have to format it then it will probably all get lost m8 yea but if u really need anything off it there is freeware security sofware available just google it. hope this helps Dave :cool:

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Any reason you came back?

Just to get a clearer picture, was linux the only OS on the drive in question? Or was the drive just a storage drive with no OS? What FS was it formated for/with i.e. FAT, NTFS, EXT3 etc...?
    When you stopped using linux did you do anything to the drive or have you left it as is? Maybe you could retreive the stuff using a live CD? Maybe you could re-install linux using the same partitions without formating and then transferring the files to a FAT partition which you can then access from Windows?

Your post is not too clear....

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you didn't format the drive, there's no harm done. No Linux distro I've ever used just goes nuking partitions without asking, so unless you reformatted the drive in a format Windows cannot understand (i.e. anything but FAT and NTFS), your data should be fine.