toshiba equium m50-244 blue screen

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by davety, Mar 12, 2008.

1. davety

davety Geek Trainee

os windows xp sp2 display ati radeon xpress 200m series
    Hi have a equium M50-244 with a problem. Seems to work fine but suddenly goes to blue screen with message:
    A problem has been detected has been shut down to prevent damage.
    The problem seems to be caused by following file ati2dvag.dll
    If this is the first time you have seen this stop screen restart computer if this screen appears again take these steps
    The device driver got stuck in an infinite loop this usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.
    Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
    ***STOP:0x000000EA,0x84190600,0xF7983CB4,0x00000001

ati2dvag
    beginning dump of physical memory

Have tried updating drivers from toshiba ati and omega this has made no difference.
    Of course there could be a fault with chipset but diagnostics does not identify any problems. If I run windows in safe mode display is ok. Other forums seem to report similar problems with this model and ati chipset, but no-one seems to have solution. Can anyone help?

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

There are a few different possibilities for your problem.

What I would do is boot to safe mode and completely uninstall the ati drivers. I'm assuming you've previously been just installing the new ones over the old ones. This time fully uninstall all ati drivers and any associated software/control panels. When you reboot to normal mode, it should be fine. From there, navigate to the ati website and download the latest drivers and install them.

If you're still having problems, you may want to check and see if you toshiba has any BIOS updates for your laptop. I've read that for some people, this problem was associated with an outdated BIOS.

And a word on your error from your friendly neighborhood Microsoft(tm): STOP 0x000000EA

One more cause that is merely speculation is the possibility of your video card overheating, which is entirely possible on a laptop... and in my opinion, especially overheating. If your laptop seems to bsod around the same time your laptop is getting very hot, this could be the ticket.

On a side note, it is unlikely that the problem is caused by bad RAM, but it never hurts to run the latest memtest+ and see what it comes up with.

3. davety

davety Geek Trainee

hi thanks for your reply I have tried a clean instal of complete system and driver, I had thought of the overheating issue especially as it has a celeron processor which I think do run hot, but it can crash just after it has been booted. I am now using the laptop after trying another driver update and downloading updates from microsoft (about 60-90mins use). checked emails saw your reply logged onto forum started to type this and it crashed!! fortunately this time its rebooted and stayed on. Maybe its sorted but I am not sure

4. Fred

Fred Moderator

There is a particular fix in here that I heard works for a lot of people: Look under Advanced, and Method 2, however, I personally dont think it is the kind of fix that you want to be permanent. Good luck! Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you.

One more suggestion would be to uninstall the drivers and then either clean the registry using Ccleaner or manually searching the registry for ATI. The latter is more dangerous to your system. Also, I'm not sure how old your Windows install is, but your best bet may end up being a restore. Once again, this isn't ideal but even Microsoft themselves have recommended a restore every year.

5. davety

davety Geek Trainee

thanks for your help I will try these solutions and let you know what success I have.