transfering settings from master 2 slave.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by matthewrpenny, Oct 19, 2005.

1. matthewrpenny

matthewrpenny Geek Trainee

afternoon all,

hope you can help me,

just built a supposedly super duper PC with SATA, wifi, dual core 64 bit processor, 2Gig of ram and a shiny new graphics card, only problem is needing to be steven hawkings to understand the ABIT documentation for installing the HD (plug into raid socket, configure raid as IDE, install raid drivers, plug HD into SATA socket) now if the planets are alligned and venus in uranus it all should work........ guess what? it didn't. so rather than suffer the wife's wrath I plugged in a 8GB IDE HD and installed windows.

now I have a 200Gb SATA HD sat on my desk (so if anyone can speak ABIT can they give me an idea of how to install it)

one way or the other I will add a second HD, a much bigger one. My question (at last) is, can I locate my docs/pics/music/ebooks etc... on the new HD and can i set it so that when I install new software it automatically loads onto new HD, (I know I can set where it installs, but I'm lazy)

or will i be better off doing a fresh install on the new big HD and loose all my data (the wife will however kill me if i loose her Sims2 saves again)

heres hoping u can help.

TTFN

2. Addis

Addis The King

You'll need to install the drivers for the drive as the Windows doesn't support SATA drives out of the box. You'll usually get a cd or a floppy disk with the drivers on.

You can just reinstall Windows fresh onto the new drive, but you'll need to install the drivers when prompted when you boot from XP disc. You can normally just back up saves and then restore them for games.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

4. matthewrpenny

matthewrpenny Geek Trainee

i have all the drivers, the problem is with the process. I only have 1 drive so am not bothered about RAID, but you need to connect the HD to the RAID socket, but set it up as a IDE channel, then install the RAID drivers then reconfigure the channel as RAID, or some such jibberish and it just won't work, I need some plain english help.

thanks