Transparency and IE6

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by edijs, Mar 7, 2007.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

Hello, all!

Recently I got this logo - a oval shape on a white background. Obviously, one would want the white background to become transparent, making the logo better suited for web sites. So, what I did was, I took the logo and made the white background transparent (using Photoshop 7.0). Saved in PNG, I put it into the web. Opera shows everything correctly, but IE6, a rebel, as always, shows the white background anyways. Is that a well-know problem of IE6 or perhaps I should use another format (like BMP)? :confused:

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

IE6 can't handle the transparency of .png files properly, it's a known problem.

PNG in Windows IE

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Try if it works with firefox. If so, then enter the text "works best on opera and firefox" or something familiar. Visitors can use the transparant logo, and might get rid of IE :D

4. edijs

edijs Programmer

Matt555, what about bmp in that case?

RHochstenbach --- Opera works fine. Maybe I should restrict access from IE at all :p

5. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

You could do that too. I've made some websites in the past that only work on non-IE browsers :p .

6. Addis

Addis The King

Bitmap files do not have transparency, they contain raw image data with no compression.