Tuning cars with PC's...

Discussion in 'Cars' started by Chris_, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

WOOT 50TH POST!
    Anyways, I was just wondering how you would start out tuning cars with Laptops etc. Im not going to do it (yet), but I probably will if know how/can afford to in the future (some years).

You see my dads a mechanic and he said to me he's going to treat himself to a laptop sometime next year. He's doing all that MOT testing, and tuning etc.

I would of thought you would somehow plug in a usb or bluetooth adapter and then run a program and transfer all the data to you and you can mess around with it and up the performance?
    Any response appreciated..

Ahh well, just something that came across my mind :p

-Chris

2. Addis

Addis The King

Well it might be possible in some cars, with trial and error to reprogram the controller chip to modify engine configuration. A lot of the time manufacturers don't push the car to the max so there is room for modding.

But this will require a very deep understanding of assembly programming, finding the chip and somehow taking it out and reprogramming it. Its not as simple as plug USB into port, increase performance....

3. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

I see, I thought it would be difficult :(. Ahh well if i want to I'd better start learning, Or just stick to the body kit and rims :p

Anyways, thanks for the reply.:)

4. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Nope :)

Cars generally have more potential power/speed/performance wise, however manufacturers dont push it to the max, and deliberately leave a percentage of unused potential performance due to safety.

The same rule applies to Processors with computers, we ALL know that processors come at a stock speed, and can be pushed without modifying or changing components, its called a saftey header, the reason they dont do it is so that they know their product will work well.

If you push a processor by overclocking (like tuning a car), without installing or modifying other key components such as memory/cooling/motherboard your risking causing errors and eventually problems with the computer. - same with cars :)

And yes your right about the assembly programming, however there are pre-designed programs out there that come with a huge database of "profiles", these profiles each contain detailed information as per each model/manufacturer/version of car, it works much like RivaTuner (the graphics card overclocking program, it can safely overclock / tune your graphics card to a better performance without changing any of the parts. and of course if u do change other parts such as making cooling better, u can push it further.

Such programs exist similarly for cars.

5. Chris_

Chris_ Excalibur

ahhh, i will look around for some programs as my sister just got her first car :p

6. Addis

Addis The King

Thats what I said. :confused:

7. aj1966

aj1966 Geek Trainee

It's "easy" with new Hondas using HONDATA and such, got to ask on those car boards......honda, toyota, nissan are usually easy if the car is brand new and if they have the software out for it. Overall, it's mostly for pros though, not something you just do for shits and giggles.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't know if this is universal, but you may be able to purchase a programmed chip to let out more performance and/or better gas milage. Off-hand, I don't know of any sites to link to that can do this for you, but I know there's a niche market out there. Prices vary, but some of the prices I saw were $200-400...but that might be worth it if you don't feel like hosing your car.