Turion x64 vs Centrino Pentum M 1.76Ghz

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Zimmerru, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Zimmerru

Zimmerru Geek Trainee

So I'm buying a new laptop and the local computer store has a couple of model's that are just what i'm looking for. The diffference between the two is mainly the CPU. Here are the specs for them both:

Laptop 1:

Centrino Pentium M 1.76Ghz w 2MB L2 Cache
    12.1" TFT WXGA
    Up to 2GB DDR RAM
    Up to 80GB HDD
    Intel 915GM Chipset
    Integrated Intel 900GMA Graphics
    Built-In Dual Layer DVD Burner
    AC'97 2.2, SoundBlaster compatible Audio
    Built-in 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN and Modem Module
    Built in BlueTooth and 802.11b/g WiFi

Laptop 2:

Mobile AMD Turion™ 64 1.6GHz 25W (MT-30) with 1MB L2 Cache
    12.1" Glare WXGA
    Up to 2GB DDR RAM
    Up to 80GB HDD
    ATi RS480M + ATi SB400 Chipset
    ATi RS480 (Integrated Graphics)
    Built-In Dual Layer DVD Burner
    AC'97 2.2, SoundBlaster compatible Audio
    Built-in 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN and Modem Module
    Built in BlueTooth and 802.11b/g WiFi

As you can see they are pretty much the same laptop with a few small differences. What i'm wondering if which is better overall, and why. I know most of that is personal opinion but since I havn't bought a new laptop in ages I'm hoping to get some points of view. This will mainly be a school work/web design laptop, since I do all my heavy gaming on my desktop.

Personal experiences would be nice, and please be constructive, I'm not trying to start an Intel Vs AMD war. Thanks in advance.

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

for a laptop, i would get the pentiium M, but if you want 64 bit, get the turion.

3. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I've got a turion in my laptop but its the MT 40, and with a gig of ddr400 RAM in it the laptop is pretty fast. I have no complaints on it, it also has an ati X700 in it, so i can actually run FEAR on medium settings at 1024x768. and Counter Strike Source on high at the same resolution. I've heard that you get alot more battery life out of Intel's mobile chips, about 5 hours, whereas i get 3 hours battery life on my turion.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Go with whatever's cheaper...given the things you'll be doing with this system, unless one has a faster hard drive spindle speed than the other, go for the cheapest option. Both are more than enough for your needs.

5. Zimmerru

Zimmerru Geek Trainee

The 64bit isn't important at this point in time. I have no plans on running anything that needs it. And having hte extended battery life is a big plus.. they are both the same in price and both have the same HDD's in them, so I guess the CPU is the deciding factor. Given the fact that the intel has longer battery life, adn 2MB cache vs the AMD's 1MB cache it looks like i'll be getting the intel. Thanks for your guy's input.