TV sound out of computer speakers?

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by dcloud, Oct 5, 2005.

1. dcloud

dcloud Geek Trainee

I have a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 surround speakers hooked up to a C-Media sound card and I was wondering is it possible to get my TV sound to come out of my computer surround speakers? And if so how would I do this?

I'm asking because the speakers on my TV are going out.

On the back of my TV I have S-video, and a white and red plug which are Right/Left audio Out. There are two other audio jacks but they are plugged into a transciever box (which I have my GameCube, DVD and TV plugged into).

I'm also wondering if I can run audio from the DVD player? On the DVD player I have the available plugs - Digital Out (Coaxial) jack, Component video out jacks, Line Out video jack. I do not know if it has 5.1 analog out. I checked in the user manual but I could not find anything.

On my computer I have a C-Media 5.1 surround card, and on it I have the X-530 speakers hooked up. The only other plugs left open on the card are a Mic and a Line In. There's a yellow SPDIF plug on the PC's backside which I think is onboard audio.

- dc

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Are you sure that they are audio OUT?

The easy way to do it is to get a cable with a headphone jack on each end, plug one into the TV and one into your computers Line in.

The only disadvantage will be that the same soudn will come out of each speaker (you will have left audio on on side and right audio on the other instead of 'true' suround sound)

The advantage is that you can plug everthing into your tv and you only have to run one cable to the computer :)

3. dcloud

dcloud Geek Trainee

Yes, they are audio Out. I called Radio Shack and the guy there said that I can get a cable that will hook up the Digital Out (Coaxial) jack on my DVD player to the SPDIF jack on the back of my PC. I'm just wondering now if the onboard audio will interface with the speakers hooked up to the sound card?

- dc

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

i would expect it to...

With my Soundcard (creative) one of the plugs acts as 3 plugs... microphone, Line in and SPDIF

I can only use one 'feture' of the plug at a time but any sound sent in using microphone and line in is re-layed to the speakers (ive never used the SPDIF)

The answer is yes (99.9% sure)

If your using SPDIF then i woudl also expect the speakers to act as 'true' surround sound (front, back left, right etc)

5. dcloud

dcloud Geek Trainee

I got an old C-Media sound card. Although it's a lot better than the onboard audio and it is 5.1 surround it is not SPDIF capable. I did call Logitech and they have a Game Console Adapter, which is basically a connector where the three 5.1 speaker cables plug into one side and two red/white RCA audio jacks plug into the other. It's only five bucks. Obviously for that price I can always plug in the TV when I want sound out the X-530s and then plug them back into the PC when I want sound from that.

The Digital on the DVD is Out and the SPDIF on the PC is also Out, so that option is out (no pun intended, lol).

- dc