Two net connections for price of one?

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by BanZai, Jul 10, 2003.

1. BanZai

BanZai Geek Trainee

At my place, we've got two PCs on a split phone line, each with the same dialup internet connections. This works on the basic level that you can log onto the net using either computer, however when one computer's connected obviously the entire line's busy so that the other computer can't dial in.

So if I want to be able to have both PCs connected to the net at the same time is it just as simple as installing a $15 network card in each and trailing a network cable between the two? As long as the software's all geared correctly, this should work shouldn't it?

One concern that I do have however is that one of the PCs is an old 200MMX running win95, and the other is a Duron 1200 running winXP. Is the 200MMX likley to be able to support a network version of XP? Or do I have to downgrade the 1200's OS? Or is it possible that will still work despite different OSs?

2. zeus

zeus out of date

You wont be able to connect both computers to the same dialup line as far as I know. If the line is engaged, its engaged and cant be used. I dont know how this stands with adsl, probably the same.

Yeah, networking the two will enable you to share the same connection.

As for the compatibility issue with windows 95 and windows..... im not sure. Ive no networking experiance at all.
    It might be possible as I remember helping a mate out with his work computers oine time. The internet would'nt work, turned out to be the isp had disconnected them cos tey missed a payment! But on that network were several windows 95 computers, and windows '98 computers. It was all run off a 450mhz windows nt5 computer. If nt5 works with windows 95, I would imagine the more user friendly nt4/windows xp,2000 OS will with windows 95 too.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

there won't be any compatibility issues between any Windows version.

And I think you can share the internet connection. I suggest you do it in XP since there's the wizard and all.

I think that what you'll need is two network cards with a crossover RJ-45 cable to link both computers. ( This can be hand-made by switching two pins but I don't know which ones )
    Also, I think the way it's plugged matters. I think you'll have to plug the switched side to the non-modem computer, but I'm really not sure.

The way it'll work is that the computer with the modem will have to be turned on for the other to have access to the net. Both computers will be connected at the same time, so you won't be able to connect one, or the other.

One thing you also have to know is that the bandwidth will be splitted in two. So if you got a 56k modem, the max transfer will not exceed 3k/sec most of the time, I believe.

ADSL works the same way.

The best route would be to get a switch or a hub but I wouldn't go out and buy one only for a dial-up connection.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

XP has Internet Connection Sharing, which is the cheapest way to get around your problem.

Use that in conjunction with the above post and that should fix you up. Just make sure you have a crossover cable or the 2 system will not see it. That and have the same network settings on both machines.

5. BanZai

BanZai Geek Trainee

Since both PCs have modems, is it possible to have either one dial in on behalf of the two? For example if someone turns the 200MMX on and connects to the net, then later the Duron 1200 is turned on, will the 1200 user just be able to open a browser and use the net too? (and vice-versa) Just that since the computers are at opposite ends of the house it would be annoying if both had to be switched on constantly...

6. zeus

zeus out of date

Yeah, both can dial up.
    As one of the computer wont be turned on, there will be no network.