UK Film Ratings

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by WWR, Aug 21, 2007.

1. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with the ratings put on films, and they're easy to understand too for the most part, but an addition a few years ago just infuriated me and continues to. For those of you who don't know, the ratings system goes like this:

Uc = Particularly suitable for young children.
    U = Universal, suitable for all.
    PG = Parental Guidance, some scenes may be unsuitable for young children.
    12A = Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
    12 = Not to be viewed by children under the age of 12.
    15 = Not to be viewed by anyone under the age of 15.
    18 = Not to be viewed by anyone under the age of 18.

Now the rating that was brought in and is the basis of my rant is 12A, it seems utterly pointless and stupid. The whole reason for the 12 rating was to stop kids under that age getting into the film. Now they bring in this, meaning if a parent is with them, then it's suddenly ok for them to see it. This brings up two points I don't agree on.

Firstly, isn't the 12A rating just acting as a PG rating now? Because technically any film that is now a 12A also falls under the description of PG, meaning that a parent must be there to supervise the child. Yet both ratings are STILL in use, it seems they invented a whole new rating just to make it look like they're trying to protect children more, even though it doesn't change a damn thing!

Secondly, what difference does a parent being there actually make? As if the parent is going to be on-hand to cover their eyes/ears every time something they don't want the child to see comes along. I can understand a 14 year old not being allowed into a film with blood flying everywhere. But to allow a child into a film that is meant to be for people over the age of 12 JUST BECAUSE they have a parent with them is just a stupid idea. I can understand parents wanting to supervise their children in films, but that's what PG films are there for! A 12 film should be just that, it's deemed fine for a 12 year old to see by themselves or with friends of the same age, why make it suddenly alright to let younger people in just because they're with someone who's seen more in life than them?

[/rant]

2. Addis

Addis The King

My dad tells my brother who's 9 not to watch certain parts of films if he thinks its not suitable, but my brother also enjoys the other bits as well so he's allowed to see it.