Ultra ATA/133 support on intel 810e motherboard

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by irshad, Oct 6, 2003.

1. irshad

irshad Geek Trainee

Is Ultra ATA/133 supported on intel 810e motherboard. I bought my PC in June 2001. It is a Compaq Presario 5000 series PC. I don't know how to find its model number.The device manager shows a 810e graphics controller.

I wanted to upgrade with a Maxtor 80GB Ultra ATA/133 7200 rpm harddrive.That is when this problem came up.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No. The ICH southbridge only supports ATA100. However, you will not notice any increase in speed with a drive on ATA100 that can do ATA133. The spindle speed is going to be the biggest difference. ATA133 is really a marketing gimmick mostly. That's the maximum burst transfer speed, not the sustained transfer speed, which is somewhere around 40MB/s last I checked.
    If you were getting a hard drive that was larger than 137GB, I'd be concerned (this is due to a hardware limitation but can be bypassed with an add-in controller card), but since it's not, you shouldn't face any compatibility issues. You should be able to configure the jumpers as necessary and put it in.

3. irshad

irshad Geek Trainee

Ultra ATA/133

Thank you Big B for you prompt reply.

Anyway what is this Ultra ATA/133 ? Which all intel motherboards support this?

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It offers a theoritical bandwidth of 133mb/s of transfer, but like Big B said, it's only in theory.

The actual speed is nowhere near that.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Last I checked, Intel has yet to release any version of ICH (including the ICH5/R with the i865/i875 chipsets) that support past ATA100. Chipsets from Via, SiS, and nVidia (nvidia doesn't have anything for Intel, unless you count the X-Box) do support ATA133, but I'm not sure if they've got anything for the Socket 370 platform.