Unexplained missing space on external hard drive....

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Snoofie, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Snoofie

Snoofie Geek Trainee

I have a 1 TB external hard drive that I use solely for storage of video files.

About six months ago, I formatted the drive and switched it from the NTFS file system to the FAT32 file system (which I wouldn't normally have done, but the switch was necessary in order to allow for the connection of said hard drive to my media centre, which I use to display my video files on my TV.)

Anyway, recently I was transferring some new files over to the external HD, and I got an error message saying that there was not enough room left on the external HD to hold the files. I was confused, so I connected the hard drive to my laptop and checked it out...and there are only 37 GB of space left. Which makes zero sense, because all the files currently on the drive only add up to a total of 353 GB. I should have *much* more space left than that.

As far as I can see, there are no hidden files or folders hanging out on the drive secretly taking up this massive amount of space, so I am out of ideas. But today I got to wondering: could the FAT32 file system be causing it? I didn't think so, but at this point I have no other ideas, so...yeah.

Can anyone provide any insight into this? I'm really hoping to avoid having to format the drive again, but if that's my absolute only option, I'll do it. I'd just love to know if anyone else has any ideas about why this space is missing.