Upgrade a Dell Dimension 3100

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by solat, Apr 8, 2009.

1. solat

solat Geek Trainee

Hi,

I want to upgrade an old pc of mine for use as part of a home media centre. Its current specs are:

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Celeron, 3066 MHz (5.75 x 533)
    Motherboard Name Dell Inc. Dell DV051
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Grantsdale-G i915G/GL/GV
    System Memory 502 MB
    BIOS Type Phoenix (04/04/06)

Soundcard: Creative SB X-Fi

I'll be running XP Pro (or maybe Vista HP if it runs smoothly) and streaming to an XBox.

I don't want to spend too much money and I saw this kit online

Komplett.ie - Komplett Upgrade Kit AMD Edition

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.6GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED m/koeler
    MSI K9N6PGM2-V, nForce430+GeForce 6100, Socket-AM2+, m-ATX, DDR2, LAN, PCI-Ex16
    Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB

The kit including delivery is €138 (£124 GBP).

My question is, can I fit this kit without changing my motherboard, and if not, would I be better off getting an Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor such as

Komplett.ie - Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2,5GHz,

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2,5GHz, (€79 , $71 GBP)

and add the graphics card and memory separately.

I really want to keep cost to a minimum, and make the upgrade to a dual-core as hassle free as possible.

Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First of all,you can't put AMD kit on an Intel Celeron,Second ,Why down grade from a P4 3.06 ghz to a 2.5 ghz... why don't you instead put the money in RAM, (memory)
    you can max that pc out too 2 gigs..that is where I would start...

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you poor poor man, yes your correct about not running an AMD on an Intel board, however, the AMD CPU is part of a combo & the Intel is just a CPU, and regarding the down-grade, a P4 single core is slower performance wise than a dual core CPU or an AMD X2 CPU

anyway, if your getting an AM2+ it would make sense to get an AM2+ CPU

IMO: the AMD combo would put together a great system (obviously with an AM2+ CPU)

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

That is why I recommend that you try to upgrade your RAM First ,512 ram is not enough to run Xp, and for Vista you will need at least 1gig..
    And DoNkEy42, No one likes a wise Guy...

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i was not being a wise ars3 (or Guy, as you said), i was pointing out an obvious mistake to help you learn, if you don't want to keep learning, just say so, & i won't correct you anymore, but i thought thats what forums were for

learning from your mistakes and from each other

i too make mistakes, look here, and i am very grateful to AT for pointing out my mistake, but, if you would prefer not to learn from your mistakes, it's your choice

6. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

Nice

And back to topic, keep in mind if you get a new mobo you will need a new Os, thats $100 USD.

Also the mobos you said ^^ will not fit in your dell case.

One word---Proprietary

Also the DELL Psu will not nearly be strong enough to power those parts and a good video card on top of it.

Also I would say just a complete new build or if its to slow, try adding some RAM and upgrading your PSU and a video card.

Don't worry to much about a P4 3.0 as it will run ALOT faster with 2 gigs of ram.

So lets start here

1) More RAM- Kingston 2GB DDR2 533MHz/PC2-4200 Memory Non-ecc CL4 1.8V Unbuffered - Ebuyer

2) New PSU- Corsair 400W CX PSU - 12cm DBB Fan 80%Plus Certified Efficiency 6x SATA 1x PCI-E - Ebuyer

3) Video Card- XFX Geforce 9400GT 512MB DDR2 VGA DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer

Those would be better than getting a new mobo and CPU.