Upgrading my desktop

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by acidgambit, Oct 26, 2009.

1. acidgambit

acidgambit Geek Trainee

I have a desktop that's about a year old. I don't use it that much. But recently i have switched from laptops to desktops.

I didn't put much money into my desktop anyways. Only upgraded my graphic card like half a year ago.

I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU and GPU.

Right now my computer specs are these:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Motherboard: ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 (CPU socket is LGA775)(Supports PCI-E x16 and x1)

RAM: 2GB

GPU: Nvidia Gefore 8600

CPU: Core 2 Duo E2160 1.80Ghz
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm thinking my motherboard only allows me to have 2GB of RAM??
    Because the motherboard only has 2 DIMM sockets and the manual only gives me lists of cards that only goes up to 1GB that is compatible with my motherboard. If that's true than...that sucks.

For GPU, i'm hoping to buy a pretty good one, not too expensive. I'm not an extreme gamer. I don't play games like Crysis, Far Cry, Gears of war...stuff like that. I play CS:S, COH, COD, and i'm planning to buy Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 once it comes out.

For CPU, i don't know much about it. But i heard that the E8400 is pretty good. But i'm open to any suggestions. Or if you think the cpu is good enough for gaming than i'm ok with it too. :)

And how's my motherboard? It's not the best....but should i change it, cause i want to upgarde my computer to the point that it'll be pretty flexible with future hardware upgrades.

Thank you all for reading and replies would be appriciated :chk: