Urgent Ubuntu Help!!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by herbjr, Feb 23, 2009.

1. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

Hello Hardware Forums Members!!!

I that there are some Ubuntu users among us so I wanted to ask for your support.

I had just installed ubuntu on my system (dual boot windows & ubuntu). So far, i love it. Linux features with a great looking GUI. My experience with Linux doesn't go pass SSH access to my servers but I want to learn more about it. That is why I decided to go with Ubuntu. I would have to take some time to getting use to not using windows though.

Anyway, I want to know if one of you guys could help me. Because I use to ONLY use windows, all of the applications/programs/tools i have are for Windows. Very few, if any, work on Linux. For my internet connection, I use a wireless isp provided by a local company by the name of XOHM. The problem is, it uses Windows drivers and uses a Windows application. Therefor, if does not work in Ubuntu, disabling me from connecting to the internet. I need help getting this to run on Ubuntu because without it, I can not connect to the internet. I tried ndiswrapper and wine but I could not successfully install it. I downloaded the packages on my Windows system then booted Ubuntu to run them. No luck.

So if anyone have any information that may help me, or if someone could walk me through the process directly, then please please please let me know. I can not use Ubuntu like i want to without the internet.

Also,
    For those of you that do not know what Ubuntu is or how to use it, check it out at Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, looks like XOHM is only supported in Windows officially, so you're kind if in a corner there. That said. a quick Google search of "XOHM ubuntu" did garner some hits that suggest there has been some success in this area. In terms of Windows software you use, I typically recommend just looking for native-Linux alternatives to proprietary/Windows software. Most of the time you'll be successful. For example, instead of MS Office, 99% of people can get away with using OpenOffice.org instead (which is free).

Linux software equivalent to Windows software

If it turns out you have no alternatives for one or more programs you use, there are still some options. For instance, you could try running them in Wine or even run a full instance of Windows in a virtual machine, e.g. VirtualBox.

3. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

Thank you. The programs I am not worried about. I have looked into that. I am more worried about getting online with Ubuntu. I tried installing ndiswrapper to b able to use the drivers and wine to run the connection manager. Neither wine nor ndiswrapper could be installed correctly.

4. Anti-Trend

I don't have access to the hardware or service, so I'm afraid this is the best I can do: XOHM ubuntu - Google Search
    How exactly are you trying to install those?

5. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

6. Anti-Trend

It's likely there are unsatisfied dependencies. Normally, your package manager would simply go out and grab them automatically. Is there any way to borrow an Ethernet connection so you can get those dependencies identified and solved? Otherwise, the easiest way to identify the missing dependencies might be with the apt-rdepends tool. I don't think it's installed in Ubuntu by default though (Debian user here!), so you'll probably have to go grab that as a separate deb file there as well... maybe a chicken/egg issue all over again. :confused:

7. herbjr

herbjr Geek Trainee

Ahh! lol. I will check into some things later on after work and see what happens. I am hoping to get this solved soon so i can enjoy my Ubuntu Installation lol.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

this would provide the easiest solution, of maybe install the required packages and dependancies on an Intrepid Live CD on a system with an ethernet connection & make a note of the packages and dependancies download by your package manager and download them & burn them to a CD / DVD (also a Debian user)