USB storage device problem

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by chocko638, Mar 28, 2004.

1. chocko638

chocko638 Geek Trainee

Hello all,
    I wonder if someone can help me? I have just purchased am external USB hard drive case for Notebook hard drives. I'm trying to recover some data from my Notebook hard drive after my O/S crashed.

Just for reference, I was getting a lsass.exe file error when I tried to boot up my Notebook, the error message would come up during Windows logon then the whole process would stop and it would start booting up again.

I've removed the hard drive and fitted it to the hard drive case and plugged it into my desktop. Apparently it needs no new drivers to operate in XP and it has appeared in my drive directory but when I try to access it my system hangs indefinitely until I unplug it.

When I put the mouse pointer over the drive, the alt tag appears stating the capacity of the drive and free space left but I can't get into it nor can I get my list of commands by right clicking either. When I unplug it I get an error balloon that pops up in the system tray saying that data being written to H: drive (the letter assigned to the USB case by Windows) has been lost due to a failed network connection or hardware device and to try to save the file elsewhere.

Am just starting to wonder whether there's a problem with the Notebook hard drive but all indicators about the problem with the Notebook are pointing towards a software glitch (missing or corrupted security file).

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm annoyed enough that my Notebook has crashed but what should be a fairly straight forward data recovery process has gone all pear shaped as well!

Thanks.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

i dont know much about usb drives, but is it USB 2.0? and if it is, is your notebook USB 2.0? im just guessing here... How long do you leave the drive in before you check it? You might have bad drivers for your usb thingy. (not the drive but for the mobo)

3. chocko638

chocko638 Geek Trainee

Yep, that was about it. I had an idea that my USB drivers needed updating, tried to update them through windows update, was told I needed to apply a patch before I could apply the drivers update, tried to do this then got an error message saying the update installer couldn't proceed because it couldn't access database files! I think it's just me and computers....
    Anyhew, finally updated the drivers by right clicking the USB controller in Device Manager and I could finally access the external drive in my root directory.
    Thanks for your help Ninja.