Vantec ICEBERQ

Discussion in 'User Reviews' started by ninja fetus, Sep 26, 2004.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I got one! Wee! :good:

My southbridge was getting a little too hot for comfort, so I originally was going to use my old northbridge heatsink off on intel MoBo. I went to Fry's to buy some thermal paste to glue that thing on! But, the paste was 8 BUCKS! No way! So right next to it was a Vantec ICEBURQ! $10. :chk:

I popped out my motherboard and slapped on my shiny new copper heatsink and fan! I put the northbridge heatsink on beacuse my old one was aluminum, and passive. Easy install! I looked at my southbridge, the box comes with 2 heatsinks, a medium sized and small one. I put the meduim sized one on! It fits nice 'n snug! thermal tape came along with it! with thermal compound too!

The hardest part of the install was taking the paper of the thermal tape! Looks AWESOME! SHINY!!!!!

Well worth the money! :good:

My northbridge has dropped around 5Celsius Idle, and about 10-12Celsuis Load!

I dont know the temps of my southbridge, i just know that now it is a LOT cooler!

2. ninja fetus

Oh, and I forgot, The smallest heatsink in the package IS NOT COPPER!!!! IT'S ALUMINUM WITH COPPER COLORING! I don't know about the medium sized one, or the Northbridge HS/Fan. But I will find out soon!

3. ninja fetus

Yep, Its Aluminum with copper coloring as well! It's either anodized copper colored, Or its a very thing copper plating!

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You're right, NF. As a matter of fact, the whole kit is built that way. But it's very dense aluminum, which is why it's so heavy. So, for the money, it does cool very well. And the fan in the Northbridge cooler is ball bearing, and works very well!

5. ninja fetus

Yeah, I love it!

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

7. ninja fetus

I also recently bought 512mb pc2700 OCZ DDR. I got a Vantec Iceburq DDR Memory Heatspreader too, and it works like a charm, very easy to put together and very heavy

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I personally found that the vantec IceBerQ was rubbish, i brought one for my old 9600XT and it only gave me 36C idle with a system temp of 23C. and it was on properly, however this may have been me.

9. ninja fetus

yeah it's not a performing vpu hs/fan by any means but it does the job for a northbridge

10. Anti-Trend

Exactly! You can't use a tiny HSF like that to cool a modern video card. But for a northbridge, it's just what the doctor ordered.

11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Woops lol, sorry i forgot that the Vantec ICEBERQ is for northbridge, i thought it was the Artic VGA Cooler i got for my 9600XT :good:

My bad :)

12. Anti-Trend

No, you're right. It's a video/chipset cooling kit... it just happens to suck for cooling video cards! :p

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Yeh they are rather incredibly poor..