Very strange keyboard issues

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by damian78, Jul 15, 2009.

1. damian78

damian78 Geek Trainee

Hi All,

I have an Advent 9117 laptop which I recently managed to spill Coke on. I took the keyboard out and dried it off.

In the days after spilling the Coke, certain keys wouldn't work, including "print screen", "num lock", "scroll lock", "home" and "page up". However, num lock and scroll lock seemed to work if I held down any other key at the same time.

Now num lock works occasionally, but not all of the time. Print Screen doesn't work ever, neither does Page Up.

Home works, but only after I've hit the backspace key, then after a few more keypresses it stops working again, until I press backspace again. For example, its not working at the moment, so I'll hit backspace......, and now its working again. Told you it was strange. Hitting backspace doesn't fix the other buttons btw.

I've just found another combination. As I type this, num lock is not working. However, if I hold town the tab key and press it it works, and will then continue working without holding down tab for a few seconds, before stopping again.

I just don't get it. I'm pretty sure the keyboard is knackered and needs replacing, however, its strange how certain keys will work if I press something else first. (home has stopped working again now btw (but interestingly I just tapped the backspace key, but not hard enough for it to delete anything, and suddenly Home worked, gets stranger by the minute)).

Can any one tell me what on earth is going on here? I would appreciate any advice (I've only just replaced the screen at the cost of £120 (and have already got a stupid little fly stuck dead inside it), so can do without the extra expense of a new keyboard).