Video Card Shootout

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Swansen, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

AMD​

Well, it seems there are new graphics cards in the works, from both AMD and Nvidia. However, AMD is going in a very different direction with their new cards. They are going to be very energy efficient, but will be very easily overclocked to be able to meet more demanding specifications, which AMD's partners plan to offer.
    TG Daily - Details leaked: ATI Radeon 4800 gets 480 stream processors

Nvidia​

Nvidia's response to all this is a release of their new core, G200, which will be featured on their new 9900 cards.
    Graphzilla prepping early G200 launch - The INQUIRER

2. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Thanks for that info mate :) personally i would go for AMD as it's better at overclocking, we all love a bit of overlocking ;) oh and i bet the AMD 4870 card is going to be much cheaper then the Nvidia 9900 series, their price is always over the top

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah for sure, on that, AMD seems to have done pretty well with sorting out all of ATI's software issues as well. On a side note there, kinda weird how Nvidia has been messing up in that area, via all the issues they are giving Vista. Yeah, i'm looking forward to it, its a pretty cool approach to graphics cards as well, i like it. ATI has always been the innovators and they don't seem to be letting up here. What really caught my eye was how scalable the cards are, you'll still get great performance with the low power consumption, then of coarse the higher clocked versions should be crazy. I honestly can't wait to see what manufacturers do with it, should be pretty cool.

4. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Fingers crossed AMD/ATi don't mess things up becuase i really want them to be at the top of their game and give Nvidia a run for their money. :p

BTW what are they technically called ATi or AMD?? , I'm guessing the brand name is still ATi but their just owned by AMD so why don't people call them ATi instead of AMD;)

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Well, when people report on video cards, they say AMD, but the cards are ATI themselves. I think it works like this, ATI used to have radeon cards, and now its like there are AMD ATI cards... i'm pretty sure thats how it works now.