Vista Black Screen Problem

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Mack, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Hi,
    A couple of months back I tried to install windows Vista Business on to my Desktop, however, when it boots, it gives a black screen. I tried searching on the net, a lot of people seem to have this issue with Vista, does anyone knows the solution to this problem.

Currently I have vista along with XP Pro in a dual boot.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have a triple boot, 98 / XP / Vista...Mine also does this, But it still works.
    Are you having a problem with it besides it doing this? I mean it still work right,
    don't it...MINE IS LIKE A BIG BLACK PAUSE...

3. Mack

Mack Big Geek

My XP Pro is working just fine.
    As for Vista, I think its just the display, otherwise its fine. But then again whats the use if I can't see anything on the screen.

While searching for the solution, I read a very interest solution to this problem. He connected his projector and it showed vista while the monitor was still showing the black screen, and once he installed the drivers (Using the projector) vista began working (and displaying) fine.

In Short, could it be that the resolution is too low for the GF to display. I know mine could only go to 800 X 600, where as vista safe mode is even lower.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

In Vista is the Video driver set to default? is it at 16 color ?
    I think all you need is the right video driver for you video card.
    download a program called everest in XP to find out what video adapter you are using. Then get the right driver for vista. I have had problems with my vista as well, not finding the sound/video/modem and so on.

5. Mack

Mack Big Geek

But In order to install a vista Driver, don't I have to be in VISTA? :unsure:

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Well, yes and no. You can download the right driver to desktop in XP .then burn it to disk and install into Vista. When you are in VIsta are you using default
    color ? or there is nothing but a black screen ..

7. Mack

Mack Big Geek

That is the problem, I can't get into Vista. When I installed Vista Business, after the installation whenever it boots up, it just shows the "Microsoft" logo and then a black screen. The Hard drive continuously works for about 3 minutes and then it stops and I have the mouse pointer on the screen (The black screen).

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

That sounds like a bad install, Try to install again to see if that will fix, also could be a bad setup disk. Can You install another version like home or
    ultimate ?

9. Mack

Mack Big Geek

I downloaded the Vista Business from my School's server. I have installed it twice with the same result.
    I can try it again, if you know how to uninstall the one that I have right now in dual boot,..

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I use Partition Magic in XP.. simply delete the Vista drive and then reboot and then install Vista again.. But sounds like your Vista setup disk might be bad.

11. Mack

Mack Big Geek

I have Vista on a separate hard drive altogether. I will try that, once i get my hands on a vista disk,...