Volcano 11

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by harrack52, Jun 22, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'd like to buy this hsf because the stock amd is not really good. It can hold up for a couple of weeks but then you start having problems because the temps are so on the edge when it's working perfectly, that when a little dust comes in, the temps go up quite fast.
    Idle is 48C with a 80mm Sunon case fan, when cleaned up, then it can go up to 56C after 2 months.
    I don't know if you've ever seen what the fan looks like but it's quite tiny !!

Anyways, I can have the Volcano 11 for $50 cad, I'll put it on my 2000+ for a while and then on a Barton 2500+ later. For the same price range (more or less $5), is there something better, or something equal that's less expensive. I really don't know much about cooling, and when I find something that interests me, I can't seem to find an online retailer that has it that's gonna' ship to Canada. The adjustable option is nice but not critical to me.

I'd overclock it to 2800+ speed since I've read it can be done without tweaking anything but the multiplier, of course.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've kinda been liking what ThermalRight has been putting out. You'll probably pay more for the 'sink itself, but I've got an SK-7 that I got for $25 USD, minus the fan. They have the SLK-800, and SLK-900U which accomodate up to 80mm and 90mm fans, respectively. I haven't seen it on-line lately, but their AX-7 is a pretty good 'sink.
    Thermaltake has been getting better since they've gotten away from the Orb-style coolers, but you might be able to get much better cooling if you can swing some extra cash.
    If you get a bigger fan cooling the CPU, the slower it can spin and produce the same or greater airflow with a lot less noise. Depending on your case cooling, you can have a pretty quiet PC with a few large, low RPM fans.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I've found a sk-7 on bestbuy.net, through pricewatch, for $24 usd. They say the ax-7 is discontinued and has been replaced with the sk-7.
    Now I have to find out what the shipping costs.

right now my case only has one place for a case fan. Like I said, I have a Sunon but am not sure what the model is. I was thinking of buying a Vantec Stealth, which I can get for $20 cad at my local store.
    As for the heatsink fan, I'm not sure yet. The sk-7 does not include a fan right ?
    I read the fan round-up review on amdmb and thought the panaflo H1A would be good but I can't find one !
    I think I'll have to look for something else.

I don't mind putting extra cash, as long as it's well spent.

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I now know what I'll buy:

- Vantec Stealth for my case, 80mm since it's the biggest one my case can take (I have a standard case) ($23 cad)
    - Thermalright SK-7 ($50 cad)
    - Antec Smartfan 80mm (don't know how much yet)

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The SK-7 is good, but it's rated for up to 2000XP Palimino's. You can go a little furthur, but you might wanna get something rated for faster CPU's. Don't get me wrong, the SK-7 is a great cooler for the money, but what you're looking at might be too much for it.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It's rated for XP 2000+ and higher.
    If I look at the SLK-800, the specs are the same.
    So the SK-7 should be ok, am I wrong ?

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The SLK-800 is manufactured slightly different---how escapes me atm---but it does outperform the SK-7. I went and looked around at reviews, and the SLK-800 seems to run about 4-7 degrees cooler than the SK-7. The upshot is, and you've probably noticed this, is that the SK-7 is about half the cost of the SLK-800. I believe the newer Athlons have use a lower voltage, so the SK-7 with the right fan could concievably do fine. If worse comes to worse, you may get a cap on your overclocking. Just make sure you've got a BIOS update that supports the Barton's.

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Yes I noticed it, quite hard no to do ;)
    $50 for a heatsink is already quite a lot for me, but since I won'T have to buy a sound card (hopefully), I still have a margin.
    I intend to use the Antec Smartfan with it.

At the start I wanted to buy a Barton 2500+, but there are compatibility issues with my board. My board should run it, but there's no guarantee. I'd have to play with the skew settings in my bios, I don't know if those settings exist on non-soltek boards.
    I've never wanted to overclock really, I'm just tired of having temp issues.