Want to build a server <$400.

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by glenn69, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The card is backwards compatible with AGP 2x, which uses a 3.3V signaling voltage. AGP 4x uses a 1.5V signaling voltage, and AGP 8x 0.8V. Most AGP 4x cards are able to work in AGP 2x slots, and pretty much every AGP 8x card is able to work in an AGP 4x slot.

That card will be fine, although ATi's Linux drivers aren't nearly as impressive as nVidia's, but I think that's more of an issue if you'd be gaming.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You're absolutely right, B. as a matter of fact, you really should run just a plain VESA video driver on a server, for stability's sake. You're probably not going to use a GUI much, if at all, on a server anyway. Even if you do, you won't need HW-accellerated transitional affects, alpha-blending (shadows), etc. You really shouldn't have too much trouble there.

-AT

3. glenn69

glenn69 Geek Trainee

I agree that the card is not necessary, however I had it from an old PC which makes it a FREE video card. Will it be that big of a deal with performance if I do not utilize any of its capabilities?

Also, in the mobo manual (MSI Kt6V ) there is a memory speed / CPU FSB support matrix. Th manual reads "The hardware configuration for CPU clock frequency of the motherboard is set to 100MHz by default. Therefore, to make a 133MHz CPU run at 133MHz when it is installed on the board, you have to adjust the CPU clock frequency in the BIOS setup utility."
    Then when I follow the matrix from DDR400 (I believe that's what I have PC3200) down it reads 100MHz - NO, 133MHz - YES, 166MHz - YES, and 200 MHz - YES. That's as far as the table goes. Do I have to make a BIOS setup change? If so, is it necessary, or is it an overclocking thing? Finally, if I do make the change, will it cause the heat to increase on the CPU?

Thanks again, you guys are great.

4. Anti-Trend

In a word: nope :)
    Well glenn69, your FSB/RAM at 200MHz is in actually 400Mhz, since it's DDR (double data rate). So, shouldn't be a problem there!
    Aww, you flatter us. :eek: We're glad to help.

You know where to find us...
    -AT

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

`Your going to have to change the ram speeds to 200mhz, or DDR400. You SHOULD change them to 166mhz, and have your cpu FSB at 166mhz, so the speeds are synch'ed, or the ratio of dran/cpu timings are 1:1

setting the FSB for the cpu at 166mhz is the default speed for amd athlon cpu's. It will have no heat increase!

Performance will not be affected by a video card!

6. Anti-Trend

The Fetus is right on every count. Unless you also plan on running the FSB@400MHz, I'd run the RAM at 166MHz (333MHz) so it matches up, clock for clock. ...that is, assuming your CPU supports a 333MHz FSB. What type of CPU do you have?

7. glenn69

glenn69 Geek Trainee

I pretty much went with all your recommendations :
    Motherboard: MSI KT6V-LSR, KT600 w LAN, SATA RAID -- $55.00
    CPU: Athlon XP2600 Retail (includes CPU heatsink, warranty from AMD) -- $97.00
    RAM: Kingston Value Series 512MB PC3200 --$79.00
    Hard Drives: Seagate 80GB, 8MB cache x2 ($72.75 ea.) -- $145.50
    Case w Power supply: Antec SLK3700AMB w 350W power supply (Antec SL350S): --$65.00

The CPU is FSB 333, 512Cache 2600 AMD XP Barton to be more precise.

I'm a bit confused...each time you all refer to 400 you have (200 listed also) and when you refer to 333 you show (166)...why?
    "Unless you also plan on running the FSB@400MHz, I'd run the RAM at 166MHz (333MHz) so it matches up, clock for clock. ...that is, assuming your CPU supports a 333MHz FSB"
    and
    "`Your going to have to change the ram speeds to 200mhz, or DDR400. You SHOULD change them to 166mhz, and have your cpu FSB at 166mhz, so the speeds are synch'ed, or the ratio of dran/cpu timings are 1:1"

8. Anti-Trend

Nice system configuration, that should serve you well! You may need to upgrade the PSU eventually, but for now it should be adequate. As for your question, the clocks on the FSB and RAM are actually doubled, because they are a dual-access buss. So a 166MHz FSB in your BIOS will have the system running at an effective speed of 333MHz (166Mhz x2 channels = ~333MHz). You'll want your FSB/RAM set at 166MHz in the BIOS, since you have a CPU with a 333MHz FSB.

-AT

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. Don't worry about it being a little confusing, as it throws a lot of people for a loop.

10. glenn69

glenn69 Geek Trainee

In BIOS page Frequency/Voltage control - The option to change is CPU FSB clock. is that the same thing as FSB/RAM ? "You'll want your FSB/RAM set at 166MHz in the BIOS, since you have a CPU with a 333MHz FSB."

11. ninja fetus

Yes it is, you just want to set your CPU's FSB and your RAM's speed both at 166mhz so that they run at a 1:1 ratio, meaning one is the same exact speed as the other.

You should change the CPU FSB in Frequency Voltage Control, just a sec I'll give you directions through your BIOS for setting up the RAM speeds!

12. ninja fetus

ALRIGHT!

`In BIOS goto "ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES"
    `Then, There should be two selections, "DRAM TIMING CONTROL" and something about the AGP speed
    `Select, CONFIGURE SDRAM TIMING BY "SPD"
    `Select "333" as the speed!
    Hit ESCAPE a few times, click exit&save changes in the menu!

SORRY! I have the BIOS update, meaning my BIOS is different!

13. Anti-Trend

Actually, from what you've told me, your Mobo doesn't have the option; it merely goes up to 200MHz. So, if this' true, you'll want to choose 166MHz. Why? Because your motherboard does not actually support speeds under 200MHz, but it is really multiplying the number you input by 2! Therefore, 133=266, 166=333, and 200=400. So if you want a 333MHz FSB, you'd set it to 166 in the BIOS. Same goes for RAM.