WebCam Video Converter???

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Mack, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Hi,
    I made a video using my web cam. The video was like an Hour and something and the resulting file is like 20GB in size. Is there any software converter that could change the video to some other format where the file size of the video is not that big.
    Just if u guys want to know, I have a Creative Web Cam.

Appreicate any help from u guys thanks
    regards
    Mack

2. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Ouch...large video...

Firstly, what format is this video currently? That would help to decide what kind of video converter you'll need to change the video format.

3. Mack

Mack Big Geek

I check the properties and it says AVI.

I hope it helps,..

4. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Remember one thing... Conversion is like one way road. You can only convert High Quality Vidio into Low Quality but if you wants to convert them back to High Quality back again then it is not possible...(I've never heard about any program converting Low Qlty to High Qlty:eek:hah:, I mean you can convert the format but you wont notice the clarty of the picture)

6. Mack

Mack Big Geek

A webcam video isn't of very high quality. Would converting it really deteriate it further.

7. viper

viper Geek

8. thoonie

thoonie hmmm....

it will, but if you encode them with high framerates it wouldnt be a problem. Use divx or xvid as your codec.

9. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Video converting is a complicated and laborious job.

Your capturing program has created a vast, uncompressed file.
    AVI is just an extension (or container type) and can have different compression levels. For example your AVI file of 20GB is very different to a DIVX file, which also has the *.avi extension.

I would suggest visiting VideoHelp.com if you want in depth info about video converting. You need at least one tool to ascertain the exact characteristics of your video file in order to convert it successfully and with as little errors as possible. It will also be handy to have a powerful computer with plenty of CPU power and RAM.
    Then you can choose from a myriad of conversion tools which are out there.
    Some free and some not.

I used all sorts, free and none free and the results vary but not a hell of a lot.
    I think the most popular of the free tools is called VirtualDub.
    Personally I like Divx's own converter more than virtaldub as it is simpler to work.

IMHO, compressed AVI (DIVX, XVID and others) is by far the best compressed video format. SVCD or VCD are just ugly retarded brothers of DVD (the MPEGII family). I would not bother with them.

10. Mack

Mack Big Geek

Thank u for ur help. I will have a look at the website and the divx converters as well. Will the converter reduce the size of the file, if so approx. by how much? because that is my main concern.

11. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Final size depends on many factors.
    Bitrate, resolution etc.
    DIVX, can normaly take about 700MB for a 2h film but that is converting from DVD. It is really a matter of trial and error.

Try the highest/finest settings first and see how you get on.
    If the file is still too large, start lowering settings.
    Most programs will give you an etimated file size before you start or during conversion. You can then decide to stop and reset.

Please bear in mind that Divx/Xvid conversions that you might find lurking around on the net and look really good, might have been produced by enthusiasts which have the hardware to match their enthusiasm......