What is to come? Look here.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, May 17, 2005.

1. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

what does a decade from now hold for us?

Plug n Play components in association with next point

a "modular" computer

64 bit computing, as well as new chips wielding 128 bit computings

mind controlled games

virtual reality games at phenomenal realistic resolutions and detailing

3D websites that have the same grid display as windows longhorn
    which will be possibly more advanced

computer controlled/voice command home operating systems

Hydrogen fuel controlling cars will be abundant

Hopefully Intel will be bankrupt (a personal note)

Microsoft will join forces with Mac (very possible)

Hard Drives integrated into RAM

MRAM!!!!!!!! using subatomic technologies for the fastest RAM to be created

Powerful computers the size of Cell phones will be widely available

One time use prepaid cell phones will be fluent (already came out with prototypes)

Robots will begin to perform certain household tasks as well as entertain, as incredibly advanced Ai is developed.

Humans will be able to provide themselves with cell size robots that will repair dead cells, dna flaws, etc providing immortality

Life on different planets will be accessible for discovery with use of new satellites

Mars will be occupied with colonies after an artificial atmosphere is established

Plasma power will undergo testing to provide enough power for a couple states

An arms race will lead to unbelievable military technologies

Robots will begin to replace people in War

Due to high computing an extraordinary information crisis is planned to take place, as hacking is used as a major tactic in military power

Weapons that will use the power of gravity will be developing

"Gravitrons" will be revealed of their truth

Primitive atom programming will develop

Cures for most of todays diseases will be developed, as well as alternate mechanical solutions to eyes, ears, mouths, etc

Star Wars will slowly become a reality as first space battles are created by space flight capable planes

And so much more, feel free to post anything else you know about, i just read alot so im in the know of these things. haha

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Holy monkey if half of those happen it will be crazy

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

mind controlled games would be very interesting!

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

yea more than half are already underway for developement the others are theories

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

heard about energy being beamed into the ionosphere so you can have an energysource anywhere around the world with just a small satellite-sort of dish?

6. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Read "Neuromancer." William Gibson was right all along.

Nah, that technology has been around for ages without taking off. Besides, other than swearing at it, who wants to talk to a computer? More likely they'll be controlled by thought-waves, better yet they'll be controlled remotely by operators working for Microsoft: What Do You Want To Eat Today?

Forget about it, the oil barons will never let it happen. Expect petrol-run cars to be around for quite a bit longer, even after it begins to run out.

That'll also never happen. Even if the worst comes to the worst I'm sure ol' Bill will be only too happy to take them under his wing!

Actually they probably would if it would assist their chances of handling the "Penguin Problem." :)

Perhaps, but by the time Nokia puts 3GHz CPU's on their phones, the rest of us will be desperately trying to overclock our CPU's to 40THz in order to get UT2010 running in 64 zillion colour mode and ridiculing those people who are still playing games as ancient as Doom 3 on their cell-phones.

This one I'm not sure about. These claims have been touted about for decades but they usually are over-confident and grossly under-estimate the complexities involved. I'm not expecting a robot to come in and tidy my bedroom up any time soon.

Again I regard this as suspect. The human body is a highly complex system and we are a very long way off from cracking its secrets. Sure, perhaps we can extend our lives considerably but expect diet and exercise to remain at the top of the proirity list for longevity for some time.

Again I'm suspicious. Many modern scientests who are involved in this kind of research make the assumption that they are looking for a civilisation that has developed similar technology to ours. However it is quite possible that life on other planets has either evolved in a totally different manner to ours or that their technology is totally different. On the other hand it is also quite likely that if there is life on other planets that they would not really be interested in getting in touch with the backwater slum that we call home. Let's face it, Earth is in the middle of nowhere as far as this galaxy is concerned. At best we could market it as a waypoint for a mining colony on Jupiter but you'd be hard-pressed to get anybody interested in establishing such a colony. Maybe in a few million years time when the Earth starts to orbit back close to the center of the galaxy (and gets back in touch with the main trading routes) we can then look foward to better inter-galactic relations. Until then, even if there is somebody out there, they're probably not listening!

Sure, and how much do you think that is going to cost the average home-buyer? At best it will be a super-rich get-away, and holiday camp for mega-millionares, at worst it will be a secure shelter for the US Military et al from which to fight their War Against <<INSERT MEANINGLESS BUT NEAT-SOUNDING SLOGAN HERE>>.

Perhaps, but who is in the race? At the moment the US is WAY ahead of everybody and that is unlikely to change any time soon. No competitors = no contest.

In a way, they already do. With the current level of air-power and long-range guided missiles it's possible to fight a large part of any war without resorting to ground troops. As the technology advances the reliance on ground troops will grow less, probably to be used only for support missions like marking targets, recon, etc. I don't really see a use for robots in war except maybe as hunter-seeker droids that patrol captured areas.

Hah! You could be right of course but as far as I'm concerned nuclear physicists lost the plot a long time ago. I would find it far more likely that a TOTAL re-evaluation of Quantum Physics is on the cards in the not-too-distant future.

Don't worry. A lot of our modern day killer diseases did not exist a few hundred years ago while the killer diseases of then are usually easily treatable today. Per this trend when AIDS, cancer, heart disease, etc., become cureable they will all be replaced by something even more deadly and incurable. Nature and the AMA will see to that I'm sure.

As above, other than the US, who is likely to be able to afford a space battle? No other nation on Earth will be able to compete and, except maybe for the odd joyider, alien creatures are unlikely to bother invading Earth. Unless of course the US Government and Microsoft have a major falling out, THEN they will have a worthy competitor!

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol well you ripped that apart didnt ya?? Lol i guess your realistic though

8. ThePenguinCometh

Realistic or cynical, I'm not quite sure which. :)

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I wonder when the US government will stop hiding and release their papers on gravity-shielding/anti-gravity devices so we can maybe progress and develope the ideas. That would extremely benefit transportation

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

yea most of them will take along time to get into place, and the US already has space-defensive planes already in hand, and i hope with the most that intel goes bankrupt, the SWORD robotics unit is a foundation for future robotic wars, as for the arms race, im guessing China will start off since its powerful and close to iran, as well as everyone else to protect themselves if China has any "outbursts" but thats jus my theory.

The us is already developing many different ways to colonize mars. the most effective solution now is creating CFCs to heat it up and melt the ice caps, to evaporate later and etc etc, u kno

its pretty cheap because mars has a good chance it may have had life already since mass hematite was found, which relates very strongly to water, and stable atmospheric conditions

The Robotics for human repair are still underway for making them smaller and smarter, but it will be very possible for that tobe created, remember maybe we don't know alot, but we know enough for a few simple commands, all we have to worry about is the ai and size and power.

yea i agree that talking to the house would be stupid, but it will come out

12. Addis

Addis The King

Problem with hydrogen is that for it to be used efficiently you need it to be in liquid form. And how are you going to do that without having huge compressors?

Also global warming will continue as posted before, thermal inertia in the ocean is gonna 0wn us.

13. ThePenguinCometh

Hydrogen cars? Nah! Use water!

USA V China for the next arms race? Probably the most likely possibility actually. Other than that I don't think it's *entirely* unlikely that mega-corporations will become so big that their own in-house security companies start to rival small armies. Taken to extremes World War III be fought between corporations rather than nations. Let's start making the bets now! How about Microsoft V IBM, Ford V Honda, AOL V Google, BP V Standard Oil? Suggestions on a postcard please. :)

SWORD robotics? All I got from a Google search was this! :good:

Life on Mars? No chance, the bombers that nuked the colony there a few hundred years ago were pretty efficient. At best we might find a few shells left. Venus is a better prospect if they weren't so damned secretive about their existence!

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=genb...DG&title=646414? Riiiiiiiight. I can just see that catch on in Wall Street. Mind you, scooters were pretty popular in Europe a few years among commuting businessmen so perhaps the sellers should look at that market. :)

14. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

about the SWORD thing i didnt see it online it was on discovery i think

idt we have a good chance on venus considering most of what we send there got compressed like 5,000000000 times smaller haha

awesome thing about the water

about the IBM vs Microsoft, its already started between certain parts in the ps3 and xbox 360 haha