What my new case will look like.

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by BUFAMAL0, Nov 14, 2005.

1. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Ok, imagine this: A 14"x26"x20" (WxHxL) custom case that I will make. I plan to have 7 fans in total: 2x 120mm in the front, 1x 120mm on the side accompanied by 2x 80mm on the side also, finishing off with 2x 120mm on the back. All of the fans will be controlled by a 5.25 bay fan controller from Frozencpu.com (awesome site!) along with a red military style switch from the same source. The case will have my own design of an accordion-style front bezel which folds out of the way of side-by-side drive bays (reason case is 14" wide!), and removable side panels with my own window design(nothin special). All of this concocted into a yellow/black caution tape type scheme with the inside painted either blood red, or lime green. The fans will have grills that have the biohazard symbol on them, and more than likely be painted black. This case will inhabit my new system that I am deciding on now, something with a Sapphire Radeon 512 MB X800XL, Athlon X2 3800+, and a motherboard which I am still deciding on. WHOO! Now that I'm done typing, please respond.:D

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Welcome aboard. Post pics when you get it done. Remember: cut once, measure twice. Look around the 'net and see what other custom cases people have made. I know some people have taken out the motherboard tray from a case and used it in their custom box, but some others have done without. If you go the latter route check out Formfactors.org for the specs of the ATX dimensions if you don't know them.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

That sounds very cool, yeah get the pics posted when you're done and keep us updated with the build process as you go along.
    Big B - My dad always says that about D.I.Y jobs "Measure twice, cut once" heh it's a good saying though...

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

:hi: http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/ is good for some nice tips and a bit of inspiration later on if you need it. Very cool ideas you've got there dude. I'm likeing the color scheme and efficient design, though you don't really need 7 fans, 4 would be more reasonable and even then it's not necessary but I guess with the controller you'd have a cool and quiet case.
    And though the specs are sweet you'd be better served by a 7800GT then a 512Mb X800XL, they're good but the extra ram doesnt' make that much of a difference in games today and the card will be too outdated for it to be useful in future games.

5. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Ok, some news coming in. My case's side panel is goin to look a tad different. The color scheme has also been affected. What I'm going to do now is an Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion styled case. This scheme works well because the name of my computer is SABRE. The side panel will have a sword going diagonally with NO fan anywhere. The sword will be cut out, and glass put in it's place. At the tip of the blade, a crimson red will start, which fades into a sky blue up towards the hilt, the color progression going across the whole case, somewhere ending in a light milk color, probably on the opposite side panel. Now I will have 2x120s in the front, and 3x80s on the back, with a thermal hood going from the CPU fan/heatsink to one of the three 80s, more than likely as an intake type manifold. The case will still have the accordion style bezel, and the dimensions are the same, I just had a burst of creativeness when on the ES4 forums. If you want to see what Oblivion is, go to www.elderscrolls.com. Please respond, and I should have some concept art up in a while... I almost forgot, my system now is an eVGA 7800GT, and one of the eVGA mobos that come free with the graphics card, all for $399.99. My cpu will probably still be the X2 3800+, and I will only have 1 gig of RAM.

BUFAMAL0

Ok, her's my new design:
    http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/7639/sabre7vq.jpg

The door explanation is at the bottom, and the case at the top. The side you see is actually the right side, where all of my parts will be visible.
    Respond if you like/hate the new design.

Here's some progress I've made.
    First pic is of the bottom of the case(14x20), the second is the type of joint I'm using, and the third is just for size comparison(Hunts ketchup bottle). Hope everyone likes my skeleton so far.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/4548/bottomcase3kg.jpg
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6674/jointaction2an.jpg
    http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/6200/ketchupcase1kw.jpg

6. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

would if thought it would be risky using wood for the frame, looking good so far though :D

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

that's a really cool and origional design you've got there, though the window is going to be a beast to put in with that intricate sword and text design. Still awesome idea and nice work on the skeleton.:good:

8. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Well actually, I'm going to just get a piece of lexan and glue and/or screw in screws from the lexan to a piece of quarter inch plywood. Basically there will be two layers for the side-panel. Hey, thanks for the advice on eVGA, woulda never found the mobo/graphics card bundle.
    I changed my mind on fans too in the last day. I am now going to have 1 120 in the front, 3x80s in the back, an one 80 on the top for intake to my cpu via the thermal tunnel.

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

sounds fun, pretty good ideas you've got going too.

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

No prob dude, glad to hear you're toning it down on the fans, should be great now. Keep up the awesome work:)

11. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

12. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Ok, I haven't been doin' much because I have to juggle basketball and school along with the growing intensity to get my case finished before Xmas...
    Today I went to my grandmother's for a Xmas party and got 2x 120mm Vantec stealth fans, and a military switch. the switch will control 1x 80mm fan, and 1x of the 120mm fans, while a three switch baybus fan controller will control 1x 120mm, and 2x 80mm. the military switch can be found at Xoxide.com, but I dunno where mine came from... anyways, I may have some pics up later. Hope to also have my case in better condition by the next post...
    -BUFAMAL0

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/4813/swichgif1pg.gif
    Ok, here's the new "Nuke Switch", as I like to call it, in action.

Hehe, made a mod this evening for my Counter strike addiction... This is a mod to give my computer screen a reticle for the sniper rifles, or any other gun. Me and my dad took a peice of plexiglass and took a propane torch to it to give it two bends, so the peice can clip to my monitor.

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3221/mod0015wf.jpg

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/781/mod0037ug.jpg

First pic is of my regular desktop, just to show how unobtrusive the peice is when not playing CS:S. the second is of the "clip" action.
    Hope this isn't to off topic from my case, for I would be a hypocrit, just look at my avatar.

13. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Well, i've gotten to work on a cover for my 3x front 80s... It's a shield which will be on stand-offs or something of the sort, and cover the three fans. Here's a pic:http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4857/shield27cr.jpg
    Should have a pic of the finished version in a bit...

By the way, I have been getting glaring comments on how I chose to make this out of plywood, so if you guys are thinking the same thing, just remember how hot wood has to get to combust. (somewhere around 300 degrees farenheit) this has gotten me sorta ticked, but progress is good. :)

14. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

Covering the fans is probably not a good idea and while you are putting it on standoffs and tihnking that it will not impair the flow of the air it will still make it much more difficult for the computer to push that air out.

15. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

That's where I have you my friend, the cover is on the front, so it won't be pushin' air out, it'll be suckin air in. :)

16. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

Yes but it will still then limit the amount of suction and reduce your air circulation.

17. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Ok, think about it this way: the shield will act the same as a thick mesh... and anyways, (since you are so well along on the topic) that a good case should have more air going out than in to create a vacuum. This vacuum, just like the deep dark space that earth is in, will make the inside pretty cold. I will have 3x 80s in the front, which give or take will produce around 90 cfm(30 cfm per 80), and my two 120s will create 120 cfm(58-60 cfm each). So therefore, the air i'm getting in is going out faster than it can come in. Also remember that one of the 80s is connected to a thermal hood, which pputs my cfm down to 60 at the front. Therefore, I will have 60 going in, 120 going out. So in other words, I'm pushing out more air than I can suck in, creating a vacuum. So, the shield may actually help in creating the vacuum. thanks for being concerned. :)

18. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

Yes I see what you are aiming for but realise that you simply cannot create a vaccum in a computer case unless you professionally seal it and use industrial machinery. What you are doing here in the process of attempting to emulate a vacuum is just making your fans work for nothing. Your pushing out more air than you are taking in which just means that your getting bad airflow, not creating a vacuum cooled system.

19. BUFAMAL0

BUFAMAL0 Geek Trainee

Yes, you are correct in some ways, but you also have to realize that it will in fact create a vacuum, and have a cooler temperature than if the case did not create some-what of a vacuum. Yes, I know that without sealing, the case will not create a total vacuum, but it will have a vacuum effect. Also remember that if the stand-offs are far enough away, air flow will not be restricted as much as you think. If the stand-offs are at least .5-1" away from the case, the thing should be fine, and serve its purpose. Last but not least remember: I'm not going for a totally 1337 cooling system, just something that will get the case cool, and serve its purpose. And one last thing to remember, HVAC teaches you a lot.

20. Tracekill

Tracekill Geek Trainee

Wait your doubling back on your original intent, you wanted to create something like a vacumm but now your saying that youll stand it off far enough so it wont affect the cooling. Something tells me you did not research fully.