What PSU would i need for this?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Addis, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Hi, I think i need a new PSU but i'm not sure how much wattage to go for. What do you recommend? Ok, here my new setup

AthlonXP 2700+
    MSI KT6V
    120gb Seagate drive
    GeForceFX 5900
    Cd-rw.

I don't want to spend more than £30 on it as I lost most of my money.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd get at least a 400W. But just not any 400W, something along the lines of an Antec TruPower or a Sparkle/Fortron unit.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

ignore this post, my psu has just fucked my cpu due to low +5 rail. :swear: :mad:

4. iKwak

iKwak Geek Trainee

I learned a good lesson. Don't wimp out on a psu. My last psu cost me my motherboard. :(

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes, that is a common problem with the cheap-o units. If a better quality unit goes, it goes quietly and without taking as much as possible with it.

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

would a 300W Antec SmartPower PSU be enough for my system, i am thinking not?

cos i have one spare.

7. Addis

Addis The King

Thanks for the advice, i worked out that since my system isn't going to need 400W i'll only need a 350-300W minimum.

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Procal: I don't think so. That psu has less than 20A on the 12V rail, and that's where your video card gets its power from. You need a power supply that gives close to 25A on that rail and Enermax does exactly this (more actually) and tends to be cheaper than Antec while not sacrificing quality.

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

cheerz, i was just asking as i have a spare Antec 300W SmartFan and my current 600W psu.

i'll stick with the 600W. :good:

10. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Ya, dont skimp out on the PSU. Its just as important a piece as your CPU, mobo, and ram are. I personally love my TT Silent PurePower 560W but that isnt in your price range...unless Im wrong. Check out TT's lesser powered units. They are just as good. Enermax, Antec, TT, OCZ, Forton, they are all great units. I wouldnt go with anything under 400W

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

u don't reli need that much power its not like a dual core sli setup, idk id recommend a 350W from a good company ex:// anyec, ultra, they have i think some antec 400W for 26.95 on pricegrabber.com, check it out, they have kick ass prices.

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

amperage always confuses me. I don't think normal household sockets put out more than 20 amps per line. Maybe they do, but I've been shocked by one and supposedly .7Amps is lethal. A standard vacuum cleaner is between 8-12 amps depending on size. You think a computer uses more energy than a vacuum?

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Something with like 18A on the 12V rail, 30A or so on the 3.3V and 5V rails would be fine for a Socket A or a non-Prescott P4 system. I've not been hearing good things about Ultra PSU's, especially the 2005-produced units.

Basically go with:

Enermax
    Antec
    Fortron/Sparkle
    PC Power & Cooling (if you have the massive cash)
    Thermaltake PSU's

Anti-Trend likes this.
  14. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Big B is aboslutely right, and his PSU recommendations are dead-on. Listen to the man, or kick yourself later! :D

15. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

About how much clearence would you say I have w/ my setup (see my computer)? I've got a generic 400wt PSU that came w/ the case.

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Can't really say, but I would upgrade to something else. The thing is, I've seen a so-called 500W power supply with 18A on the 12V rail. My brand new Enermax has 34A between both 12V rails and it's a 535W unit. Why is there such a huge difference? Temperatures. That 500W unit may only provide that much juice at, say 50*C, whereas my Enermax might be able to keep up it's ratings at 85*C. The problem is that there's no temperature part in the power supply rating biz. That's why you see a 600W PSU for $30...well one of them.

I know that right now, the PSU I have is way more than I need, but I wanted to start with a base that'd give me flexibility in upgrades down the road.

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I just used the Amps off my Sparkle 350W, and pretty much went with that, since the good PSU brands have something similar. My Antec 350W is rated about the same as the Sparkle give or take an amp or two.

Here's a big fat PSU thread over at [H]ard|OCP's forums: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

I used to not give a rats ass about the PSU. If it powered on, it was good enough. However, the recent changes in the industry have necessitated that you NEED to take a good look at the power supply and have a good one.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks Big B, it's lasted so far and my temps are fine so I'll use it till it burns out, I get a ton of money I don't know what to do with (right...), or I buy some huge gfx card.