What will the PSU power without the processor?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by LoneStar, Sep 23, 2006.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

I thought that the answer would be "everything". I have everything needed inside my new rig besides the processor. I turned her on and all the lights and fans came on. I heard my HD start spinning, and two of my mobo LEDs came on. My video card fan kicked on too. But I hit the eject button on my Samsung DVD RW drive and it did nothing. Is there also an LED on the drive to show that its on? Another thing is, I can't get my HD LED on the front panel to come on and Ive switched the polarity on the mobo connectors and everything, still nothing.

2. Addis

Addis The King

I can't believe your system started up without a processor. If you don't have a CPU, how is your system going to work?

I've always held the belief that until the CPU receives a voltage high enough on one of the pins, the system won't start.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you won't get far without the CPU. Yeah, you can boot the system up, but you're not going to POST. I've never tried a scenario out sans the CPU, so I can't say if this is normal behavior or not. I'd wait until the CPU comes and power it up.

4. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Yeah, it doesnt POST or anything, I didnt even have it hooked up to a monitor, I guess I'll just wait till I get the CPU.

5. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

your cpu controls all software aspecs (on/off bits) from hardware and firmware, your cd-roms /hdds /leds /gpu fan are all power-based they do not need a cpu to function this way, if you applied power to a disconnected DVD-Rom drive it will do the same thing, your on-off switch will be controlled by devices on your mobo and your gpu fan will be functioning via the 5/12v connection, current is supplied to your cpu round about the same time as your devices and functioning before the post screen is displayed, correct me if im wrong but what your merly susgesting is the cpu diverts power to devices, obviously thats the psu's job and its job alone as the cpu is just another device like RAM

6. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

So what youre saying is that my DVD Drive should be functioning? Because its not ejecting or anything. Everything else besides that and the HDD LED is getting power.

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

the drive should deffo eject wether or not the cpu is inserted, simple test for that is to remove the IDE cable and power it up, it will eject unless there's a fault

8. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Thanks newpaws, I disconnected the IDE cable and it ejected. I think so far everything is workin!