What would be your dream gaming PC?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SirDeity, Feb 7, 2003.

1. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Pretend you just won a $10,000 dollar shopping spree. The only conditions are that you can only build one PC, and you can't spend the money on anything else. No cars, no new clothes, just the best gaming PC you can imagine...

The hardware or system specs must be already existing. No imaginary hardware.

Lets all post our dream PC below. It will be fun for us to compare what you think is the best, to what others think is the best. Remember, the PC your going to build is supposed to be ultimately for gaming, although, it can have as many other capabilities as you desire.

What would the specifications be?? Please list your dream PC's specs below.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Let's just say my starting point would be at least a 2- or 4- processor setup with some Xeon 2.8GHz CPU's with the 533MHz FSB and HyperThreading. (and, yes, I've been hanging out at 2CPU alot) Also, I think I could work in a RAID 5 setup with those Seagate Cheetah 15,000RPM SCSI hard drives.

I'll have to figure this out.

3. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

I just thought I'd ask a few questions since this thread doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention yet. =)

You can have more than one processor in one computer? (2, 4)

How much do those Seagate Cheetah 15,000RPM SCSI hard drives cost?

What is a RAID 5 setup?

Not an Intel or AMD? Why a Xeon?

4. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

I'd say the same as what Big B wants with a nice readon 9700 pro and watercooled
    and 2 200gb harddisks would be nice
    and a plasma screen ;)
    and I would want everything to be wireless :p

and yes u can have more cpu's on certain mainboards
    xeon is from intel just like the pentium ;) and they r the fastest cpu's now :cool:

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

RAID 5 is one of the most redundant and fastest versions of RAID available. Basically, RAID uses 2 or more hard drives for more reliable operation. If one drive goes out, you still have at least 1 more available so you won't be screwed over. The exception to this is RAID 0, which writes a little portion of each piece of data to each hard drive in the array. There is no redundancy here. If one drive goes...you're pretty much fucked (pardon my French).

Being SCSI is more reliable than IDE drives---which is really critical in a server environment---and runs faster, paying $200 for an 18GB hard drive isn't out of the question. Plus you'll need to spring for a SCSI controller that will run at least $100-200 at the low end. I'd love to play with SCSI, but it is very expensive, and unless you have some heavy disk activity alot of the time, it's really not worth it to spring for. It's a little more complex than IDE too, so I wouldn't suggest it for a first PC build.

6. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

I really don't want to spend more than $400 dollars for a single hard drive. Building my first PC won't be much of a risk though. I'll have my cousin right there beside me leading me through the process. He has several college degrees in computer tech. stuff. He's built more PC's than I can count... I've got a good teacher to learn from.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Have you ever seen him build one? That's what helped me get to where I am now. Looked easy enough. Few bumps in the road and stuff I still screw up on from time to time, but usually I do pretty good.

8. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

What would be your dream gaming PC? its a question which can have many different answers from ever one.

I cant really say, since I'm not upto date with every thing, as I used to be, but in general I'd go for the fastest cpu, graphics card, etc

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hehehehehehehehe

Okay, I've got it setup.

Motherboard:
    Iwill DP533-S with onboard U160 SCSI--$ 609
    CPU:
    2x Intel Xeon 2.8GHz/533MHz FSB-------$ 998
    RAM:
    4x Corsair XMS PC2700 Low-Latecy
    512MB DDR -----------------------------------$ 670

Hard Drives:
    SCSI:
    6x Fujitsu 15,000RPM U160/320 68-pin
    SCSI -------------------------------------------$1,776
    2x 25" Rounded U160 SCSI cables
    5 ports, no terminator----------------------$ 38
    2x 68-pin SCSI Terminator ----------------$ 32

IDE:
    2x Western Digital 200GB
    8MB Cache ATA100 7200RPM -------------$ 510
    Promise Fasttrack SX4000 RAID 5 ATA
    Hardware IDE RAID controller-------------$ 165
    256MB Crucial PC133 ECC
    (For Promise controller) ---------------------$ 55
    Pioneer DVR-A04SPK3 DVD burner--------$ 300
    Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM------------------------$ 40
    4x 24" ATA133 IDE cables-------------------$ 28

Other Storage:
    Mitsumi 1.44MB floppy------------------------$ 8

MEDIA
    ATi Radeon 9700Pro All-In-Wonder
    128MB AGP 8x --------------------------------$ 389
    Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 sound---------$ 42
    NewQ Media controller---------------------- $ 99
    Logitech Z-680 5.1 speakers---------------$ 309
    Samsung 22" .24 dot pitch CRT monitor--$ 557

Case:
    Lian-Li PC-70 15-bay case------------------$ 192

Other:
    2x ThermalTake Hardcano 5----------------$ 56
    Sony Clie NX70V color PDA------------------$ 512

Power:
    APC 700VA Smart UPS-----------------------$ 309
    APC 7Perf 7 outlet Surge Protector-------$ 22

From Newegg: 7,798.00 + Shipping

PSU:
    Enermax 24-pin ATX power connector
    EG651P-VE-FM--------------------------------$ 149

From Directron: 149 + shipping.

Total: $7,847 + shipping

How's that?:blah:

10. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Very nice Big B!!!!!!!!!

You've still got over $2,000 dollars to spend! You can include accessories such as: Keyboard, Mouse, Moniter, Printer...etc...

:D

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's included:) I know that some 3.06GHz Xeons are right around the corner, and another 1,000 bucks should cover that. A few more SCSI drives would be in order as well.

This would be one bitch-fast system, to say the least. That's a sick amount of storage. I really don't know what I'd do with that much power---oh, wait, yes I do: crunch UD like a bad mofo.:chk:

I imagine this thing would be pretty heavy. Probably need some heavy-duty casters on it just to move the thing.

12. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

Big B, just make sure we're still friends 10 years from now. You'll be the one to take my $20,000 dollars and spend $10,000 on each of us for a dream PC. =) For $10,000 dollars, you can build mine for me. :p

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I could probably do that. I'd look into some ServerWorks chipset-based motherboards, but their AGP and IDE implementation isn't that great last I heard...otherwise I'd have gone with that. They're like the only thing to top Intel's own chipsets.