which monitor?

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by MercyFlush, Jan 14, 2008.

1. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Geek Trainee

right now i am stuck on an old Samsung SyncMaster 152n, which is about 15". i am looking at getting one of these monitors, each is around 20". which one of these three would be the best to get, qualitywise. i dont need anybody to tell me that i should get the 21.6" one just because its slightly bigger, as those are all the responses ive gotten in the other forums i have tried. thanks.

1. Samsung 206BW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 2ms, 800:1, WSXGA+ 1680 x 1050, DVI, VGA, Gloss Black, 16:10 Aspect Ratio at TigerDirect.com

Acer AL2016WBBD 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 800:1, WSXGA+ 1680x1050, DVI, (Open Box) RB-AL2016WBBD OB at TigerDirect.com

Samsung SyncMaster 216BW 21.6" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1000:1(DC 3000:1), WSXGA+ 1680x1050, Gloss Black, DVI-D, D-sub, 300 cdm2 at TigerDirect.com

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you haven't, see if you can actually look at them in action. That's my recommendation. However, if you're asking to go on by specs alone, I'd go for the Samsung 206BW because of the 2ms response time. The other 2 have 5ms response time, and would make them better if you're gaming so you end up with less lag in the images. If not, then I'd save my cash by going with the Acer model. The Samsung 216BW does have an advantage with a higher contrast ratio than the other two.

You also might check out some of LG's LCD's. I just picked up their L196WTQ 19" widescreen LCD, and it's quite nice.

In the end, I strongly recommend checking out any display you're interested in before purchasing. Specs do wonders, but they can only do so much.

3. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

I first want to say that all 3 of these monitors have very similar specs and you wouldn't notice any big difference if you chose a specific one. But since you asked, if i were to choose for quality i would go with the first one: Samsung 206BW 20" Widescreen

Option 1 - for quality go for the Samsung 206BW 20" Widescreen
    Has a 2ms response time compared to the Acer and the other Samsung 21" with a 5ms.
    Has more Display Colors (16.7 mill.) compared to the Acer with 16.2 mill.

Option 2 - for price go for the Acer.
    If you go for the Acer you would save about $100 AND you would get a very very very near-same quality experience with the other two options.
    So i would think about it if i were you.

ALSO, keep in mind that if you get any of these WIDESCREEN monitors... they will stretch out almost any image-video on your screen unless you configure your resolution settings otherwise.

4. MercyFlush

MercyFlush Geek Trainee

ok i actually just went to circuit city a day or two ago and got the 216BW for $200 instead of the 270ish i would have had to pay online for shipping and stuff like that. it was open box, but only the store had ever touched it so i got $50 off for that. Im very happy with this screen, it has a little bit of light around the edges where the backlight bleeds through a little, but as long as i dont really pay attention to that it doesnt make a difference and is hardly noticeable. i put my old monitor next to it and rigged up a dual screen setup, so i can use my old one for itunes and other music applications that i normally have running in the background. thanks for all the help

5. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Good choice man. Rock on those dual screens!