Which Motherboard for gaming?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by LoneStar, Aug 9, 2006.

1. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

There's so many different ones with all different reviews. I've been searching for one for a while, but just can't decide. Specifics would be appreciated. I don't need SLI, but I want at least 1 pci-e x16 slot. I wanna go Socket 939 also. I'm most likely not gonna overclock, at least for a while, so that shouldn't be a factor. Have you guys had any personal experiences with any mobos? Any suggestions will help, but like I said being specific will help.

2. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Why go 939? It's being phased out with AM2. If you have a 939 already, you probably dont need to waste money on a mobo upgrade.

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yes also how much are you willing to spend, and how much performace, upgrade ability do you want

4. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

This will be a ground-up PC build, my first one ever. I wanted to go 939 because everything 939 is cheaper right now. I have nothing against AM2 though. I'm looking for a board around $100 or less.

5. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Get 939 if its cheaper, as 939 is not been phased out yet, its still a good platform and should be here for another couple of years :)

6. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

Don't go with what Willz said.

Most AM2 processors are about the same price as their counter-part 939s. Look at it this way: 939 is already phased out, it will not be here for years. AMD is going to introduce a 4x4 AM2 socket system just to compete with Intel's Conroe line until AMD can mass produce 65nm processors.

The good thing about AM2 is that they work well with faster memory. And since 1066MHz DDR2 is available with good overclocking outlook, the Conroe line might just have a competitor afterall.

----------------------------------------

The biggest problem with what Willz has said is that nothing will be here for years. By the time technology becomes "affordable" something new is right around the bend. My P4 lasted two years, then dual cores came. AM2 is just being introduced and it probably won't even be here for years, since AMD plans to release a new batch of processors late next year. Stick with the AM2 and when memory gets cheaper get the fastest you can.

7. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

look at it this way. You dont want to close upgrade doors by buying technology that has already been replaced with a newer one. AM2 is the best bet for mid range gamers right now.

What you should make sure of is that you get a nf5 series mobo. Probably a nforce 570 as 590's are expensive. If you dont want/ cant afford sli then i sugest the asus Asus M2N-E nForce 570 Ultra. Its a good buy from a solid brand.

Then ,just as a reminder, you must make sure that the processor is socket
    am2 and the ram must be ddr2. The skt am2 boards only support ddr2.

8. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

9. vol7ron

vol7ron Guest

I agree with Matt, don't close possibility of upgrades, especially given the price circumstances at hand.

10. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

Thanks guys. This may be a noob question, but what is flashing the BIOS? And one reviewer on that Asus board said his would not take DDR800. Is DDR533 alot worse? Do you think it is possible to put 800 in?
    Sorry for all the darn questions, I just want to get this build right the first time through.

11. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

DDR533 is fine unless you want to overclock. Also, flashing the BIOS is a process where you update the BIOS data. This is like upgrading a program, except with the BIOS.

12. LoneStar

LoneStar Geek Trainee

How exactly do you flash the BIOS? Do you do it from the BIOS interface or in Windows?

13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

You generally do it form a bootable floppy but some motherboards come with software to do it form inside Windows. Either way is relatively easy.

14. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Doing it from inside Windows is more risky than doing it using a floppy, it would be usefull if it could be done from cd's, most people dont even have floppy drives anymore because there so outdated!

Also, the reason i reccommended AM2 is because, sure AM2 will be around longer than Skt 939 as its newer, but Skt 939 aint phasing out anytime soon, Skt 939 aint phased out yet. Of course, if i was going to upgrade now and stay with AMD, AM2 would be what i would move to, but it would be a costly upgrade for some decent kit, a decent AM2 mobo, around £100, decent DDR 2 memory, thats around £100+ for 1gb + memory, the cpu, there preety cheap, £130 for an X2, if you did go SKT 939, Ok, maybe SKT 939 maybe a bad idea, they wont be releasing anymore CPU's for SKT 939.