Whoa!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by archcommus, Jan 29, 2003.

1. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

I have two things to say WHOA about:

1) The amdmb.com forums are HUGE. I've never seen a site with so much info and that's updated so fast. I can't keep up with it, but it's all so great.

2) Apparently Athlon XP 2100+ Thoroughbred B CPUs can be overclocked to over 2.5GHz!!! Approximate to 3500+ speeds. That's absolutely amazing. Why have I never heard of this before?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

1.)Yes. That's a site I hit very regularly. The info is so damn good. It's a shame I haven't seen an Intel-specific site like this.

2.)Yup. I guess you have to look in the right places to find that info. Then again the Tbreds haven't been out extremely long anyway, so some info may not be front page news everywhere.

3. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Yeah, that's some incredible OCing. Then again, you probably need a mega HSF combo and fans galore to get it to be stable.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not necessarily. If you can OC it without having to give much of a voltage increase, the less you'll have to worry about extra cooling. Of course, having a good cooler to begin with helps. Thermalright makes some of the best copper heatsinks on the market today, and these don't cost as much as Alpha or Swiftech coolers (before fan prices). Add a low RPM 80mm or larger fan on it, and you can have a nearly silent PC system. I've done the same thing on one system, and it does make a major difference. I'll probably get rid of my Vantec CCK-6027D in the near future and get another ThermalRight SK-7 like I have on my XP2000+ (@ 1.8GHz/2200+) since an 80mm fan can move as much air at a lower RPM w/o being horribly loud.

5. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Hmm. Yeah, I think I may consider an HSF upgrade in the future. Then again, it's a hassle, and if I don't plan to overclock at all, maybe I won't. How do you go about increasing the voltages and such? BIOS? I heard about people painting bridges and stuff. What does that all involve?

Yeah, right now I just have the retail HSF and one case exhaust fan in the back. Do you know what size the retail fan is for the XP 2100+? Would I be able to overclock it at all with that fan and heatsink?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You can increase the voltage usually through BIOS, sometimes with jumpers--although that's not as common today as it was a few years ago. Same with the multiplier---providing it is unlocked (probably isn't, and this is where most modding of the bridges, specifically the L1 bridges, happens) and the FSB.

I believe the retail heatsink uses a 60mm fan. They can move air, but they'll be louder since they have to turn faster to equal the output of a slower 80mm. Yes, you can overclock with that, but you might wanna watch it with that speed of CPU as it's gonna run pretty hot as it is. If you are considering overclocking very much, I would suggest looking into a better heatsink---preferrably one with a copperbase, or a minimum a copper insert in the base---and possibly another fan (may not be necessary--depending on the heatsink you get and if you choose to reuse the fan if you need to provide one for the heatsink).

7. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Okay, thank you. I'll keep the retail one for now and not OC at all. Later, however, I may upgrade it.

Well, I'm going to attempt my first real boot now, so I'll post back later with how things go.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, don't start OC'ing until you know everything's working at the default speeds, since overclocking can add to problems.