whoooaaa Quick download or what!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zeus, Jul 11, 2006.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive just downloaded a 22mb file and on a 1mb connection it started at 2500kb/s untill it was up to 15mb. Then it tapered down and by the end it was downloading at 450kb/s.

Anyone ever had that before? Its a first for me! Ive noticed many of my downloads go a 115-120kbs which is my apparent limit (1158kbit connection) since I started using firefox but never anything like this.

All the while bittorrent is in the background running at 20kb/s.

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Ok, lets try this..............
    Suppose you have a link for a File to download.
    Click on the file and it will ask you where you want to save. when you specify the location and press the save button. You will see a very high speed of downloading, which comes down to the normal speed slowly exept if the file ends before it comes to the normal.
    What happens is, when you click on the file to download, the moment you click on the download button it starts downloading the file and when you specify the location and press save, it goes very fast for a moment because it has a part of file already downloaded.
    Am I right?

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That's a pretty nice download speed

I have to share an 8MB connection between 11 rooms in my house. On a good day when few people are using the internet I get about 500kb/s, on a bad day (like today) I'm lucky to get 9000b/s

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I had something similar awhile ago, i managed to download 10MB in less time than it took for forefox to open the downloads window! (call it 0.5 seconds, allthough i suspect it was alot less)

10MByte's = 80 MBits
    80Mbits/2 = 40MBits/s
    if 2MBit/s = 100% then 40MBit/s = 2000% [Im on a 2MBit connection]

I was a little surprised to say the least! :D wouldnt you be if your net connection went at 2000% of what you payed for!

5. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

I know that Firefox downloads whilst you're deciding where to save the file to, but does IE? I've had it happen in both FF and IE before.

6. Addis

Addis The King

I suppose they would, makes sense. Always wondered why that happens.