Why is W7Pro taking up half my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Klaleara, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Klaleara

Klaleara Geek Trainee

W7Pro is suppose to only take up to 16 Gigs according to Google.

I havn't even installed drivers, I"m sitting on some insanely ugly resolution typing this right now. I have 62 Gigs out of 111 Gigs free. What could possibly be causing 50 gigs to not appear?

It is a 120 Gig drive (SSD).

Also, I'm starting to think I should leave my SSD for Games only, and install the OS on a different hard drive. Unless having the OS on a different Hard Drive will impact performance.

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

From the top of my head:
    1. I would put my OS + all programs on the SSD - that will ensure the fastest startup/loading times. Having the OS on a HDD would diminish the performance gains, since interaction with the operating system is a ever present thing.
    2. Is this a fresh installation?
    3. Did you do a full formatting to NTFS prior to installation (w/o partitioning the SSD)?

3. Klaleara

Klaleara Geek Trainee

I cleared the OS completely, and formatted the drive. It created a System Reserve, but that was only 100 MB.

Same thing happened when I got the drive brand new (Nothing ever on it). So I redid it thinking I may of done something stupid, but I did everything right it seems.

4. Klaleara

Klaleara Geek Trainee

Figured it out.

The Hibernation file was 18 gigs alone.

Ontop of that, because I have 24 gigs of RAM, it created a Virtual Memory pool of about 30 gigs.

5. M_Kincy

M_Kincy Geek

If you havn't done so already, you should disable windows write caching on the drive, write caching will GREATLY reduce the performance of SSD drives.

6. tking0036

tking0036 Geek

if you dont put your OS on your ssd you should definately put your page file on it. Putting your page file on a solid state disk will greatly increase performance

7. Klaleara

Klaleara Geek Trainee

Well, besides the point that this thread is from 2011, I posted the problem above. It was because I have 24 gigs of RAM, and windows automatically thinks you need more virtual RAM to support it! (For some reason)

8. Klaleara

Klaleara Geek Trainee

Its sorted out, just had to reduce my virtual RAM.