Why you should be exicited about Firefox 3

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Impotence, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

A quick (3 minutes 45 seconds) overview of some of the new features of Firefox 3

http://people.mozilla.com/~beltzner/overview-of-firefox3.swf

[OT]
    FF3 also deals with Javascript faster than any other browser if my memory serves me well :)

*impotence sits and waits for the inevitable opera praise from megamaced*
    [/OT]

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I'm running FF3 RC2 on OS X at the moment, and I really like it so far :)
    However I do notice that the RSS Feeds don't refresh by themself...

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

they look like some useful fetchers
    [ot]
    i'll start, Operas mail client did used to store email weird way[/ot]

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I personally prefer FF over Opera, because it has Adblock Plus, DownThemAll and looks much better.

5. Impotence

6. edijs

edijs Programmer

happy to see Jing! in use :)

as for FF - looks nice, but still, I'll stick with what I've got

7. Addis

Addis The King

Yes I've noticed that too, I'm running it on the latest Ubuntu hardy.

I really like it so far, especially the awesomebar and the download manager has been improved. Still not as good as the opera one, but much closer anyway.

Also love the search for addons feature, I'm quite lazy and don't like having to go to the addons website to find them.

8. Impotence

For me its the URL bar being able to search my history... I'm a bit of a privacy freak sometimes, and normaly clear out my history at least weekly but I've found the feature so useful that i have yet to clear my history since i installed 8.04!

Might look to see if i can encrypt it though, using the same password that is used to encrypt stored passwords (encrypt cookies too?) but instead of being asked for my password when i browse to a site that FF remembers my password on it would ask me as soon as i start the browser :)

An option to not remember visted websites would also be nice (as an on/off button somewhere on the UI)

9. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Wow, that looks cool. Okay, I'm off to download it.

10. Impotence

Obviously someone else thought it would be nice to have this feature too, i remember reading that a private browsing mode was going to be included in version 3.1 :) (I never bothered submitting it as an idea)

11. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I have both firefox's 20014 and 3 .. they both are nice and work well, Firefox three is just a little faster..

12. donkey42

donkey42 plank

browsing with SwiftWeasel 3 (FF3 for *nix) & i like it, the download manager is better but i think i'll still use opera as a glorified download manager

13. Impotence

SwiftWeasel is just an CPU optimized version of firefox, Mozilla does do Firefox Build for linux

14. Addis

Addis The King

wget -c will do for me with most long downloads.
    kget if I ever need more features.

I like Opera, it's fast, nice UI, nothing really wrong with it. I just can't seem to use it instead of Firefox. Doesn't have the customisation options like Firefox does.

If anyone's used the Clucene addon, isn't it awesome? I have it installed on my laptop and can preview news stories without even opening a tab.

15. Fred

Fred Moderator

I feel exactly the same way. I think Opera is a fantastic browser and I can't point out anything wrong with it, except it just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

16. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yup, it does have some advantages over Firefox, for instance it uses the Qt framework instead of the aging GTK. But the UI is just poorly-designed compared to FF, and I can't seem to adopt it permanently. Probably for the best, since FF is open-source and Opera is not.

FF3 has been a really great browser for me, as I've been running it in various states of beta out of CVS for months. It hasn't had many major problems all along the way, so I have confidence that this will be a very solid release.

17. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yes FF 3 is the sweetness, and i am a huge fan of Foxmarks plug-in.

18. edijs

edijs Programmer

talking about UI and Opera. We have a somewhat changed UI at our hands with the latest Opera 9.5; I like it a lot better than the previous versions.

19. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Well there's one *small* thing that bothers me about FF3: the way the asterisks were replaced with the IE-style big dots in fields where you enter passwords. I always thought those huge dots looked a bit ugly. Bring back the asterisks!

20. FxFreak

FxFreak Geek Trainee

Firefox is simply a hands down great browser. It's also fun to discover new browsers. I recently downloaded a browser from SycloSoft and Flock.