wich should i choose xp or 2k ??

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by RZA, Mar 24, 2002.

1. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

I now have windows 2000 pro but im thinking of upgrading(fresh install ofcourse) to XP
    But does the disney look make the system more slow ?
    And should i w8 for a service pack to come out for win xp ?
    Also wich should i choose the home edition or pro ?

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'd have to say go the XP route, you'll pick up compatibility and the enhancements made to the 2K core.

The Luna interface will cause a slight performance hit but you can eliminate that by switching to the classic theme, and if you want a different interface you can always skin it to a theme you like.

For the service pack I think you're fairly safe without it. XP is an enhanced Win 2K kernal so it's just as if not moreso reliable than 2K.

For the home/pro option I'd say it depends on what you want to do with the system. If you want to host a website or have dual processor support you're going to have to go with pro. If you're just the average consumer who wants a system to play games, surf the internet and maybe use a bit of Office I'd say go the home route and save yourself a bit of cash.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've run XP with 256MB, and I couldn't tell the difference between that and the 512 or 384MB's I have in my PC's (see sig for details). If you have at least that, which you do, I would suggest that for speed and the compatibility.
    I'd go with just about everything syngod just posted, but I do feel that the server state would be better served with Win2k, as it's got more of it's issues resolved and has been out for a few years. Just my personal opinion though.:)

4. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

ok im gonna install win xp coprorate
    but ive heard that the corporate doesnt need activation
    is this true ?
    cuze i dont have a legal copy :p

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

It does not require activation but it does require a serial # and chances are come SP1 the serial # everyone is using will be blacklisted.

I've had quite a few people ask me why Office dies on them after SP's come out and MS always seems to blacklist all known numbers in the wild.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

RZA: if you have illegal software, it's best to keep quite about it. I know some forums ban people for it. Just a tip;)

7. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

I decide to keep win xp
    But I have some programs that didnt work on xp, so I'm gonna dual boot with win xp/98
    I know that I must install win 98 first but is it possible to install it on my d:\ drive ?
    And can I instal programs like winamp, kazaa and mirc in the same folder ?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, 98 can be installed on D: providing it's within the first few gigs of space on the drive.

You can install everything to the same folder, but you're guaranteed to have problems. It can be done, it's just not recommended.

9. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

ah ok then I will just install then on a diferent folder, I have 40 gb anyway :D

10. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

does any1 know if win xp plus is any good ?

11. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Yeah XP Plus is okay, certainly not worth the £30-odd quid they charge in the shops though.

If you manage to get it from somewhere, it does have a great fishtank screensaver!! :p