Will an ups help me?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by cybermonkey, Sep 19, 2006.

1. cybermonkey

cybermonkey Geek Trainee

I've had this strange and seemingly uncurable problem for a couple of months now. I've posted about it at other forums and got many home remedies that just didn't help. I've finally found the problem.

My rig:

Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe
    (2)BFG 7600 gt oc sli'd for my pleasure:p
    (2x1g) 2 corsair xms
    680 watt psu (thermaltake...recently purchased as one of the possible "cures" thanks to mpc forums).
    350g wdse caviar hdd (another possible cure that I recently bought)

Anyways, I think you get the picture;)

I was having a problem shutting down completely...(please no advice on this particular issue, I have literally tried EVERYTHING!!!), and I was having to constantly do hard shutdowns which killed another hdd! Oh, the agony.

So finally after all of my efforts, I took the pos to my brothers house to see if there was anything he could do...lo and behold first attempted shut down worked without a hitch! Stand-by mode? NO PROBLEM:doh:

So the problem: The circuitry in my house! WTF!?!?!?

Anyway will a ups with a filter help? How will I know if I have the right one?
    Can anybody give me a suggestion? Really appreciate these forums and any response is welcome. Thanks ahead of time:)

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no UPS will not help things, a UPS just powers the system during a power failure

now i suggest you change the "Fast Shutdown" option, although i can't remember wher it is, will try seaching for you, back soon

Edit: exactly what does the final shutdown screen look like, i very much doubt the problem is with the circuitry in your house, but just in case it is, roes your house use an RCCD (or when was it rewired) the best thing to use is a new power strip with an integrated surge protection

Edit: you should be using an anti surge power strip anyway, even i have one & my system is never built up

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:doh: sorry, had time to think:doh:

:doh: a UPS with integrated power protection would help but it is unnessicary, a simple power protected, power strip would probably fix your problem
    they are available from most PC outlets, but make sure you get one with power protection:doh:

4. cybermonkey

cybermonkey Geek Trainee

Thanks for helping me out donkey42, I figured it out. It is just the one wall socket that is bad, so I ran an extension cord to another socket and it works fine now. All is well, thanks again.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

your welcome, wish i'd being helpfull, a power protected power strip is still worth using, glad u sorted it though, please consider getting a power protected power strip, bye for now