win xp repair

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by harrack52, Feb 8, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

the problem I have : When I open more than one internet explorer window at the same time (whether it's me or pop ups), internet explorer freezes.

I believe I could correct this by reparing xp, am I right ? if so , how do you do it ?
    if not , what should I do ?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

hey, you managed to fix the problem? just wondering if you still need help?

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I looked in the help ans support section and they said to reinstall it by doing an upgrade.

but it did the same as if I was trying to do a clean install : xp setup could not find all the necessary setup fileson the cd.
    I do not know why it does this, everyone seems to have no problem doing fresh installs, but I can't.

so anyway, I decided to restart and leave it as it was but everytime I started it gave me a choice to start win xp or win xp setup, and inside xp, some peripherals were not working anymore, like my network card, xp could not install it for some reason, so they suggested to go on the net to download the drivers, but internet does not work if your network card is not installed properly obviously.

so I formatted, had to install 98 before installing xp so that's where I'm at.

everything works fine for now, I converted from fat32 to ntfs after installing xp, hoping the small but annoying problems will stop happening, if I could do a fresh install I would as it is probably what causes xp to do weird things.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Make sure to obtain the latest drivers and then have them on floppy or CD so that you've got 'em when necessary. That or buy an older NIC that's supported right off the bat by XP.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

sure it would be the right thing to do but even if I had had the drivers on a floppy, I would have reinstalled because it'S never a good thing to continue to run windows after an unsuccessful reinstall

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unless it's an absolute necessity that I have that system working ASAP, I will reinstall whenever Windows gets shot. I like to keep my drivers available, so I make sure I have the ones that work best for me available on hand.

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I don'T have any real important files on my computer, so that'S why I don'T mind formatting

but having teh drivers you need on a separate cd or floppy can'T hurt !