Windows: 17 Reasons to get off the bandwagon

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Anti-Trend, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The mystique of Linux and much disinformation is definitely a hindrence. Many people are schooled in Windows, and going to something different enough (even with a desktop environment like KDE) that amplifying any difficulty is a hindrence. There is a learning curve. The customization is something that can be confusing for new users, simply because the amount of stuff included with the OS and the extra CD's to add-on even more. It's not a bad thing for the more advanced users, but it's simply natural that going into unknown territory and being hit with lots of options can be confusing. But, this depends on what distro you use---meaning it may very well not be an issue. A lot is moving forward in the Linux world to make it more streamlined, and I'd say well over 90% of it isn't with Linux so much as things like driver support. Even that's light years ahead of where it was 3-4 years ago. Running Windows only programs can be delt with using the likes of Cedega, but it'd be even better if we see Linux support out of the box. It's on some popular titles, but it's frustrating to see some companies with a major title (e.g. Half-Life 2) for the actual title, not just a server.

I subscribe to the idea that there isn't one end-all, be-all OS, beit Windows, Linux, *BSD...whatever. You can't say "Well, Mandrake Linux has to be the best because it's so easy to use, etc" For a router? Hell, no. That's what smoothwall is for, for example.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You bring up some very good points, B. Like the abundance of distros, for instance. As you pointed out, different distros have different focuses. Would I use Mandrake for a firewall? No way, that's a niche IPCop fills quite nicely for me. Could I if I wanted to? Definitely. But that's not the point. The point is that lots of distros weaken standards, at least in Linux educational aspects. It's difficult to know all of the unique nuances of each distro. On the other hand, the positive side of diversity is that each distro can truly excel in those areas on which they choose to focus their attentions. Mandrake's focus is to be very easy for newbies to migrate to. Perhaps even easier than Windows to use for the first timer. For instance, you mentioned the fact that lots of apps for the same (or very similar) purpose can be confusing to people who are unfamiliar with them. This is true, and that's actually one of the things which thwarted me early on. Since Mandrake's focus is ease-of-use, they've done their best to remedy this problem. I've attached two screenshots. One is of the standard KDE menu in Mandrake. The second is the newbie version. See what I mean? Not exactly a Deus ex machina solution, but a pretty good stab at it. Compare this to the alphabetized menu found in Windows. If you were new to computers, which interface would you prefer?

Another excellent point you present is driver support. While most hardware of consequence will work without a hitch on a modern Linux distro, there are notable exceptions. For instance, most exotic/generic hardware which is not based on standard chipsets will work poorly, or simply not at all. This is especially true of peripherals like scanners. It's an inconvenience to have to research compatibility before making a purchase. It could be argued that it's wise to do some research on any computer product before you buy it. But even so, hardware support isn't as strong a point as it was a few years back. With some excellent vendors like Nvidia and VIA heavily backing Linux with quality drivers, OSS advocates can be a lot less picky about their hardware. As a matter of fact, Linux boast arguably better support of EMU10k1-based soundcards than Windows, ever since Creative's decision to open-source their drivers. But this is only one example; typically Windows dominates every other OS in the area of PC hardware (and indeed software) support.

One point you brought up is something that's been right in front of my face, and I never even realized it until now. Those with average levels of Windows experience tend to have a great deal of difficulty migrating from Windows to another OS. I believe this is due to the fact they have ingrained patterns of use, but don't truly understand what's going on behind the scenes. This isn't so much of a problem with brand new users, because they have no such preconceptions. Not much of an issue for advanced users either. Since they have more of a grasp on the underlying concepts of the OS itself, it's just a matter of learning the key differences between how each system handles each task, then moving on to things the one system can do which the other can't. Middle users have neither the luxury of wisdom nor the bliss of ignorance, so all they receive is frustration!

Attached Files:

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

For me personally, there's some stuff that at this point in time, I still need Windows for. I have to have my scanner working. The other thing is, while they're coming up, ATi's drivers still aren't at the same level as nVidia's, but that paritally due to ATi's OpenGL part--which they're not so hot on. I really don't have anything against MS, but with multiple computers, staying legal isn't exactly cheap.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Agree. The only legitimate MS software that I've ever bought is Windows XP Home. I paid £90 for the upgrade version. (I was young and naive) And I have a feeling that I probably won't ever buy another MS product of that price again. Maybe something worth £20, but no more.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I dont think own a piece of microsoft legit software and if i do i sure as hell didnt buy it.

6. Anti-Trend

B, I wasn't saying scanners don't work. I was saying you have to choose a scanner which is Linux compatible. Vendors like Canon seem hell-bent on making it impossible to support their product on anything but Windows. Vendors like HP and Epson are generally much more Linux-friendly.

As for the software issue, I have very complex software needs as a system administrator for multiple networks. I use office software, advanced networking stuff, and I even play games, watch movies, burn CDs, edit photos, etc, etc with nothing but free software. What is this software you guys need so badly that you actually have to steal it?

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

When my scanner breaks, I'll certainly look into a Linux-friendly one. I've got some odd-ball Memorex unit (and about the only Memorex product I like) that's lacking support under Windows. I put SuSe 9.1 on my LAN box, and while I'm not making the Linux conversion yet, Linux is quickly becoming more streamlined if 9.1 is any indication. I do need to patch it, because there's some 2.6.x kernel funkiness when it comes to NTFS.
    (I got sick of the Mandrake ISO's crapping out at 5% downloads, and had a free Suse Linux DVD set from Novell on hand. The install was awesome...still might be a little confusing for n00bs, but it's really not all that much harder than an XP install.)

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I went on mandrakes website as i have heard its a good version of linux for n00bs but I can't find a free download, only downloads that you have to pay for :mad: and idrather not pay for it. Am i doing something wrong?? :confused: If you do have to pay for it can anyone suggest a free easy-to-use linux?

9. Anti-Trend

If you want to download Mandrake, use this list of free mirrors. Alternately, you can purchase nice, silk-screened copies from various vendors for only the cost of the CDs (like $2). A good way to go if you have a slow connection or don't have a burner.

10. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

woohoo i got linux..now all i need is another harddrive to install it on