Windows 2000 Pro Vs XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by spuff, Aug 18, 2004.

1. spuff

spuff Big Geek

I'm currently running Windows 2000 Pro (with Athlon 2400XP, 512 PC3200 RAM, Maxtor 80GB and Radeon 9600XT) and I've been thinking of upgrading to Windows XP. I'm quite happy with Win2k but I feel it's time to move on! Is it really worth the hassle?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not really. WinXP (any version)= Win2k Home. XP is basically a prettier 2k with a tweaked interface to be more user friendly and make it easier to come over from Win9x. The only thing that might be of value to you is that XP does have better gaming support than 2k.

I think the only reason I'm running WinXP Pro right now is because I got an extremely good deal on it (and yes it is legal).

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hmm, 2K Pro is better than XP Home/Pro in just about every concievable way. Including gaming, if you ask me. I always got between 5-25 extra FPS gaming with 2k than XP back in the day. Besides, 2K and XP are basically identical under the hood. The only differences are a little Window-dressing, if you'll excuse the pun. :rolleyes: Let me put it this way:

Windows NT 5.0 = Windows 2000 Pro
    Windows NT 5.1 = Windows XP Pro

That I know of, there isn't anything XP can do that 2kPro can't. Not only that, but 2k is faster and easier on your resources. My 2 cents...

-AT