Windows 7 Preview.

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by FearisFailure, Oct 30, 2008.

1. FearisFailure

FearisFailure Geek Trainee

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Nice, Windows Blackcomb.

I hope they release a new version of Windows XP all over again... i miss the excitement i had in 2001.

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Microsoft always thinks that they can correct the mistakes that they made with Vista by just changing the user interface.

I've also noticed that the new task bar looks almost exactly like the one in KDE 3, but then made of glass...

4. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

That's what i miss about Microsoft; when XP came out with their cool blue themed desktop and clear icons and every user has to get their hands on this new wonder. No other O/S looked softer and cleaner and it was Microsoft that had its ideas copied.
    And that's the excitement i miss...

Today they seem like a bunch of fonies.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Windows 7 is just Vista with new wallpaper and start bar.. I tested it last week..
    I didn't care for it..

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That's exactly what I was about to say!

The touch screen feature is useless to most PC users. I have yet to hear of any "must have" features.

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

WAIT, there is a new filesystem, i think WinFS ??? From all that i understand about 7, is that its what they hyped "longhorn" to be, and when they first gave out details for Vista, it was actually appealing. I hardly imagine there will be any breakthroughs here, but i have something like hopes that they will get it closer to right this time around.

LOL

8. edijs

edijs Programmer

Well, if I look at this in a broader perspective, then it sucks to the bone, that they release a new OS so soon. I don't think that enough has been learned so far to make something new again. I agree that this stuff should've been a SP2 to Vista.

Plus, I hate that it looks like Vista - brings back the unconfidence... And what about the requirements - do they stay the same or do they go even higher... ?

Sure, If I was to buy a new computer which is strong enough for 7, I'll use 7, not Vista... but anyways... peh.

9. RHochstenbach

Windows 7 is actually the result of transferring a bad designed engine from an older car to a brand new looking car.

10. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i'm pretty sure they toned down those extremely unneeded requirements, i remember them talking about it anyways. On that, there was this HUGE argument on a different forum, and people were actually backing microsoft saying OSs should increase the amount of computing power needed. ... Those are the people however, that really don't even understand the concept behind an operating system.

11. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Yeah because its cool waiting almost a minute for the right click menu to appear from a file, or the even the goddam volume control slider from the task tray!

12. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Is this a replacement for Vista? Looks just the same...

13. Net Jockey

Net Jockey Geek Trainee

I expect the same from Microsoft that happened since windows 3.1... a bunch of garbage until XP.

14. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

...... i have such a problem with that one to at the work machine... it drives me nuts.

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Just thought I'd throw this in here:

You're looking at the interface and giving a verdict on an OS in development?

16. zeus

zeus out of date

It seems that way. Maybe thats why XP was a supposidly reworked OS. Its just 2000 with a slideshow built in to me. Maybe a bit more driver support but its the number users which determine the extent of support when it comes to dekstop PCs.

Ill wait until someone I know with more money than me buys it and asks me to fix it... then ill decide!

17. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Since the OS is Built on Vista, And i have tried it and Used it for a couple of weeks, I would say it is JUST a glorified Copy of Vista.. They just changed a couple of things..

18. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

From what i've read in PC Magazine, it's like Vista BUT without all the "heavy weight". Windows 7 won't use as many resources our RAM as Vista does. Of course, Windows 7 also has a few additional changes...
    We'll just have to wait and see.

19. RHochstenbach

Yeah that's what they want their readers to believe. Windows 7 is using way more RAM than Vista. When I boot up Windows 7 and leave it running for 15 minutes and haven't loaded any programs, the RAM usage is proximately 1024 MB, while Vista uses about 512 MB. But it's still a Beta, so the RAM usage might be improved in later builds.

20. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Actually, i believe the article was written by an independent critic.

That's a bummer to hear, hopefully it won't use as much when its released!