Windows is pissing me off, linux conversion?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by ninja fetus, Nov 11, 2004.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

My mom is pissing me off. So I'm gonna put linux on her comp. I ned a distro that doesnt have to be fast, doesn't have to be all too stable. It needs to be able to work with quickbooks '04 Basic files or a quickbooks alternative, an excell alternative, and a MS word alternative. I know openoffice has some functions but I dont know all of them. Does it handle quickbooks files?

I'm thinking of installing Fedora core2, Cobind beta2, or mandrake 10.

It's gonna be on a gateway, and I'll need support for an Epson Stylus 825 I think. Anything I need to worry about?

This comp is used strictly for Word, Excell, Quickbooks, Internet. Nothing more nothing less.

Anything I need to worry about, or will I be fine?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Open office is likely what you'll be putting on the system, and while it might support Microsoft Office suite, check up on that.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I would recommend either Mandrake or SuSe, SuSe will support everything that you need, we have a printer on network connected to a linux machine using SuSe, and with open office e.t.c already pre-installed.

Personally i prefer BSD/Unix look/feel compared to typical linux, like FreeBSD or Slackware

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Just about any modern distro will do what you want! Choose one based on your Linux skills and knowledge.

5. ninja fetus

the main thing is Full Quickbooks '04 Basic edition support, openoffice can handle that? Because if it can, then I'm getting Suse. I gotta test out an el cheapo brand burner I just bought :D love the .iso's

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

OpenOffice is the equivilent of Microsoft Office, and does not include support for Quickbooks (neither does MS Office!). Quickbooks is a sperate program. You'll need WINE. Or for a few bucks, Crossover Office, which both run Quickbooks flawlessly. There are some open source clones of Quickbooks and Quicken, but I haven't exactly heard rave reviews about them.

7. ninja fetus

Alright. I think I'm gonna try WINE on it. This is gonna be a bit of a struggle since I have had no luck with WINE. I guess I'll have to RTFM this time! :rolleyes:

If that doesn't work. Then I'm sure I can get crossover. I'll becoming back here a lot for help, or to bi+C\-\ about it :p thanks!