Windows retirement plan announced

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by syngod, Dec 18, 2001.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

IT managers are reconsidering software strategies after Microsoft announced the dates when it will end support for versions of Windows, including NT and 2000.

Support for Windows 2000 Professional, still being evaluated in many large firms, ends on 31 March 2004. Support for Windows NT 4.x and Windows 98 ends on 30 June 2003.

Microsoft put the dates online late last month, but did little to publicise them. The company said the dates would help users select software, but the deadlines are so tight that critics say Microsoft is trying to push firms to upgrade.

View the rest of the article at ZDNet

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I really wish MS wouldn't have these retirement plans for their OS's, especially if companies have worked fine without them. Why should anybody have to upgrade to a new OS if the current one works fine? Simple: MS wants money, and while XP is a great OS, it is nowhere near as mature as NT or 2k. 9x is a different story, and was MS temporary fix until the time was right.

Windows 2000 may not be a gamers platform initially, but most games will run on it. IMO, it is better than XP, simply because of maturity, which XP really can't compete against. XP is good, but there are still some kinks to be worked out.

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

I can see why MS has already set out the timetable for 2K. In the past MS has only provided support the the two latest operating systems and with Longhorn hopefully launching before 2004 that would leave 2K as being a 3rd generation OS which MS has never supported in the past.

Besides if MS doesn't force upgrades how can they get everyone on their upcoming subscription applications :).

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Subscriptions, my ass! I don't think I need to pay more than once for an OS.

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

hehe come on who wouldn't want to pay like $29.95 a month + broadband connection fees to use Windows and another $29.95 to use Office :D.