Windows VISTA

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Willz, Sep 20, 2005.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I don't care for the different versions of Windows Vista. They are all crippled in one way or another, with the exception of the Ultimate Edition of course. Home Basic doesn't even have Aero Glass, and although I haven't looked in more detail, I can be sure that Basic is missing a lot of other vital features.
    Home Premium probably offers the average consumer what they want, but I am a power user who has his own home network and professional infrastructure. So I was dissapointed to read that Premium omits some important tools such as Remote Desktop among others. Premium also lacks other business oriented features that I require as part of my sysadmin training and education.
    With this in mind, you might be thinking 'well why not go for Vista Business then?'. Well the Business edition lacks the 'new' multimedia features of Premium. There's no Media Centre for a start and other home user orientated features are lacking.

So in conclusion, the only Vista worth bothering with is Ultimate and unsurprisingly it comes with a hefty pricetag. With this in mind, together with the new crippling DRM features in Vista and £FREE price of Linux, I'll probably just stick to Ubuntu :)

2. Addis

Addis The King

Haven't tried Vista yet, but is there a decent shell? After all these years cmd.exe has never been good enough to do what I want to do. Cygwin has had to do temporarily.

I'm surprised about the improved responsiveness Willz, maybe they've improved memory management over XP. Although it's still probably nowhere near a good as Linux/BSD.

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Really, i have stopped trying to install Linux now, i goes absooutly pissed off with the install errors and then decided to isntall Windows Vista and it made me think, ir runs fast, it does everything i want it to do, my hardware is capable, so why Linux when its all messing in the command line stuff and nothing is supported, i dont really feel the need for linux now, if i ever upgrade my rig and when ATi cards are good, as when i buy a Nvidia card it will be in my main rig, then i will try Linux on a secondry rig.

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Well, Linux runs better on my computers than Windows. Linux + Mac are pro OSes, and Windows is a big toy.

5. Willz

I would use MAC osx if it worked on pc's, i wouldent buy an overpriced crappy mac computer though.

6. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Mac OS now supports Intel chipsets. But it would only run on a Mac, becuase it has EFI instead of BIOS. But I've seen some components in Vista that support EFI, so if PCs get an EFI, you should be able to install mac os on a pc.

7. Willz

Mac OSX 100% deffenitly works on certain PC's, somewere this is a big wiki on Mac PC project, and a giant supported hardware list.

8. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

well ive got vista from sum1 but it aint illegal in my opinion becoz i havent put a serial key and it only allows me to use it for 30 days which sort of aquaints as an evaluation version. Obviously i wont get any cracks or serials becoz they will most likely not work and im not planning on using vista on the long run till SP1 comes out, a lot of bugs

9. Willz

From what i have seen over the past 1 week of using vista is hardly any bugs.