Windoze bashing

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Impotence, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

agree or disagree?

"Lecturing people about security while using windows is like telling everyone how important it is to use a condom to avoid STI's while injecting heroin and sharing needles with the local junkie."

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:agree:

BTW: do you have any words of wisdom for future genarations ?

3. Impotence

uhm, here's one i thought of the other day:

"Linux: The greatest threat to Microsoft since anti-trust laws"

4. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Linux will never be a threat to Microsoft. Microsoft is a monopoly, it has too much power and grip over the market. Only people like us who come on these forums know what Linux is about the rest of world don't know what Linux is but Microsoft "hell yeah i know it."

5. Impotence

Look at the current state of things,

Vista needs a powerful computer, and runs very badly on most laptops. Microsoft is eventually going to stop selling and updating windows XP to force people to upgrade (They can barely maintain one operating system, let alone two). when that happens, there will be alot of (perfectly good) machines that need a new OS.

Every so often Linux gets into people homes in different ways :)

6. Pimp

Linux is for free right?????

ironically free things in the world never make it big but expensive things do. so my point is that people will be happy to spend the money and upgrade to vista.

7. Impotence

unless you point out that you can get Linux for free, install it and see if you like it... and then buy vista if you really want to.

I've introduced a few people to Linux this way

8. Pimp

Well i want to ask a question seen as i have never used Linux are games compatible on it if not do most games have a drivers for it?????

9. Tech

Tech Padawan

Maybe not on Desktops but Microsoft don't look that confident to me :cool:

Maybe you should should check out the Linux counter. Multiply the registered users with the cost of a full Windows retail version and see the figure you come up with. I'm sure Bill could find a way to spend spare change like that!!

10. Impotence

Beacuse software compiled for the operating system its going to run on you can't just stick the game cd in a computer running linux and double click on the installer.

Alot of games have linux Versions (Such as Eve Online, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 4, Postal 2 etc).

however, if there is not a Linux version of the game then you have to run the software using wine or Cedega (Cedega you have to purchase a 3 month subscription at least once to use, and you have to continue to subscribe if you want updates).

I have managed to play Counter Strike Source Using wine without any problems, and apparently World Of Warcraft runs without any problems.

The important thing to note is that it is not going to work with every game that you find, but, the popular games are well tested in wine and normally install and run without any problems :)

[OT]
    There are also some really good FPS that *only* run in Linux, and there open source too :)
    [/OT]

11. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Yeah, truly though, Linux is a long way from being on every persons desktop, I hate Microsoft and all that they do with their OS's but i guess thats the nature of the beast. However, i feel some form of Linux should be on every Laptop, thats pretty much where Linux should live considering all that people generally do with Laptops. However, in order to do anything more than browse the internet, word process, ect, you have to understand A LOT about Linux, which is really frustration and time consuming for most people, and even for an "advanced" computer user.

12. Impotence

Understand what exactly, and what are the 'other things' your trying to do?

I installed Red Alert in Kubuntu last night (i found it in my room and wanted to play it), it was as hard as right clicking the setup.exe and selecting run with wine.

i also installed Eve online, which was as hard as downloading the installer from there web site and running it (by double clicking on it, no harder than windoze).

want search a bit of software to do something? start the package manager and search for what you want to do, and select one (or many) of the results to install, and then click install. (now if this was windows, for a novice user this would include a lot of searching and most likely a bit of malware).

Going from windows power user to Linux newbie is daunting, but i picked it up fairly quickly... I can do more in linux after 1.5 years than i can in windows since i have been using it [i think i was 5 when the first computer appeared in my house].

Look at it this way, save yourself a fortune and alot of hassle. Once your using Linux you can use it happily for the rest of your life, and not have to buy the new version of windows every 2 years (which is the release cycle Microsoft are apparently trying to get back into).

Assume i die when i'm 80 and i want to use windows for the rest of my life, im 18 now so.... 62 years, 32 releases of windows (and i would always want the 'best' version) so 32*200 = £6,400. one hundred pounds a year (or i can use Linux and spend it on hardware)

13. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

HEY, first of i said "anything more" not "other things" lol, just kidding, but seriously. Ok, well, those are two simple examples, the eve online and you made it sound like getting Red Alert working is a simple task. First you have to get WINE, and then you have to get it to work right, its not that simple, i imagine it would be a little bit easier if you use Linux decently in depth for a year or so, but people don't want to mess with all that stuff, they just want something to work. The fact that you have to install something else to get what you originally wanted to do is way more than people want to be involved with. Really all you have to do to find something for windows is to go to whatever search engine and type it in and download it. More than likely your not going to contract some form of virus, there is that chance, but its not like its a 100% thing. That and Linux never tells you whats going on, you click it, it installs, but you'd never know because there isn't any progress bar or anything like that, it just happens, that is very simple, but in a way confusing. That and it doesn't always show up in your package manager so then if you want to uninstall it later, its a task. Plus this is a really good example, F@H, yeah, not the most common thing ever, but i have a few friends that just do it for whatever reason on this windows boxes, and my god, is that a chore trying to get it set up right in Linux. Even then, you have no idea if its working or not, there isn't any little icon that gives progress or even and open window, just a txt file. As well, messing around with mp3's and that sort of thing takes a little bit of doing. I'm not hating on Linux, i'm just saying, it SHOULD BE on every normal persons computer, cause most people in their homes just write papers for whatever or browse the internet (which is also something else, as you know, since Firefox doesn't always like life under Linux, but Swiftfox is perfect, which also is more messing around) So yeah, nature of the beast, your always an admin under windows, so your really vulnerable but it makes everything really easy, stupid, but yeah. Oh yeah, gaming is a major chore on Linux, as firstly you have to pay for Cedega, as most games aren't coded for Open GL, which is a shame, but, DX10 does now have some nice features over GL, which makes games really pretty. I'm not hating, and Impy yer my number one F@H rival XD (j/k, but seriously though, but j/k)

14. Impotence

installing F@H in linux can be very easy, just use finstall (this script will setup f@h to run when the computer starts, install multiple clients if you have more than one CPU, install graphical tools (so you can see the protein) and a lot more that i have forgotten)

from the command line:
    Code:
    #download the script
    wget http://ra.vendomar.ee/~ivo/finstall
    #set the privileges to say its ok to run it
    chmod +x finstall
    #run it
    ./finstall

The reason installing f@h in linux is harder than it is in windows is they seem to assume you know what your doing if a) your using linux b) your installing f@h (which is a fair assumption, as most do).

Installing wine was dealt with by automatix as was mt dvd ripping software, every multimedia codec i could ever need, video & sound editors, video transcoding software (i can turn anything into anything), itunes replacement for my ipod, google earth, archive tools (i can open just about any format, rar, ace, 7zip, zip etc) along with a load of clipart for open office and a load of fonts too.

installing and setting up kubuntu with all the software i want takes about an hour with a decent amount of bandwidth.

But i think your right, it comes down to experience but as soon as you are as comfortable using Linux as you are windows everything becomes a lot easier (and cheaper).

[OT]
    I've never had any problems with Firefox in Linux, not even the 64bit version
    [/OT]

15. donkey42

donkey42 plank

16. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

You know for all our constant windows bashing a hell of a lot of people have 'xp sp2' listed in their comp specs on these boards (me included!)

It is the only operating system my clients run and so it would be stupid for me to change over (and I have tried on numerous occasions anyway - in my lifetime ive tried suse, knoppix, ubuntu, kanottix, red hat and a few others I cannot remember, none of them worked out for me, too much of a steep learning curve with little or no benefits, yeah yeah its 'free' but I don't pay for windows anyway)

Just m2c

17. John k

John k Geek Trainee

Think ferg just hit the nail on the head

18. Impotence

around £50 of the cost of any store bought computers is windows XP, so you really did.

Unless you mean you pirated it, in which case you will eventually. I can't see it being long until people who are using pirated copies of windows who don't buy a legal copy or report the business who sold it to them start getting letters from microsofts lawyers.

19. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

HAHAHA, on a complete side note, i just noticed this, which is also ironic cause i was just thinking, i haven't had anyone recently be like wait, what the crap did he write.

20. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Free msdn student license from back at uni times ;)
    I own (for completley free) licenses for, xpsp1, xpsp2, 2000, 2000 server, 2003 server, tablet, mappoint 2004 and a few others i forget. And yeah i know that Microsoft offer these student deals for comp sci students to 'get them hooked', but i was using it anyway, it just made me change from a corporate key to my own personal one. (find me a computing student who made his own rig and actually pays for a license)

But even if i didn't have it i'd say it would be more worthwhile for me to pay the license fee and keep my productivity at the optimum level it is instead of spending time having to learn how to do the most basic of commands under linux.