Wire sleeving

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by loaded_chambers, May 10, 2003.

1. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

I want to sleeve my PSU and all my other miscellaneous wires but I've tried and tried unsuccessfully to get the molex wires out. Has anyone else done this before that can give me some advice?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Look for some split-loom wire wrap. It can be had at auto stores (Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, Hires, etc) and Radio Shack. There's also spiral-loop wire wrap, but I've not seen alot of it around the places I've looked, and the selection where I found some (radio shack) was pretty limited. Anyway, going the split-loom way, make sure to pick up some cable ties to go with it, and I suggest getting the same color for aesthetic purposes. I've done it on my main ATX Power connector, and that's pretty much it. I've tied most of it out of the way or routed it in a creative manner out of the way. I've mostly used the split loom stuff to round my IDE cables.
    I didn't get the molex wires out, but there are some tabs in each one that you need to press into each prong. It's a pain in the ass to do, and even more so to put it back. I really wouldn't suggest it in case you happen to put them back incorrectly--which could be fatal to the PC. You don't need to take out the wires from their molex connector. You gain nothing by doing so, except a headache.