wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by mad2moons, Aug 27, 2002.

1. mad2moons

mad2moons Geek Trainee

I've got my main pc and just got a 2nd hand laptop. I'm using a 10m crossover cable at the mo but wanna go wireless. What do i need to get for both pcs? I know i need an 802.11b pmcia card for my laptop but what else? thx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm not up on my wireless networking, but I believe you will need a wireless hub or switch. I could be wrong, but you may need that...

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

Actually you don't need a wireless router/hub you can get by with just 2 802.11 cards running in Ad-Hoc mode. However your best bet would probably be to get a wireless router and go that way.

On a side note if you do purchase a wireless router I'd reccomend staying away from a D-Link 713p and if possible try to pick up an Orinoco system. I just recently replaced my old Lucent (Agere/Orinoco) system with the 713p and a Dlink 650-DWL PCMCIA card and the range is basically unusable. 1 room away with drywall walls and only about 10 meters away and the connection drops to 37% strength whereas the old Orinoco system I could travel throughout the whole house and never drop below 80%.

If you can I'd reccomend any Orinoco routers, and either a Cisco or Orinoco Gold card for your laptop. For you PC you could either go with a wireless client for it as well or most routers have at least a 1 port hub you should be able to use to have a wired network.

4. mad2moons

mad2moons Geek Trainee

thx 4 the replys. Any tuorials on the web on how to set them up? I've searched but can only find sites of people actually selling their products :(

thx

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

Do you know what brand of equipment your getting? Each system is a bit different to set up, but if you know what equipment your getting I should be able to walk you through setting it up.