Wireless Scanning to multiple pc's - Possible?

Discussion in 'Printers, Scanners and Digital Cameras' started by ben341, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ben341

ben341 Geek Trainee

Hi,

In the office of one of the clients I support they often need to scan documents and OCR them using Omnipage which is excellent. However, each machine has it's own scanner, they are taking up room and are so aged that the slow speed even at low resolution is starting to cause a problem. Rather than pay for a good canon or suchlike for each machine, it would be better to purchase a quality all-in-one solution that has the ability to scan to ALL of the machines over the wireless network. I have seen solutions that allow to scan wirelessly to "A selected PC" however this would suggest that you have to pre-configure only one of the computers to allow this ability, which isn't enough.

Has anyone encountered such a device that would do the above? other than wireless scanning (a standalone scanner with this abolity would be enough though) but for an all-in-one, quality colour printing would be advantageous, although it would not be used to replace the laser for B&W.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.
    Ben

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I would suggest a cable splitter. The cable of the scanner goes to a splitter. At the end of that splitter you can connect each pc to that splitter. That would be the best way I guess.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yes, it's possible (but i don't know how) i would think if you added a wireless LAN adaptor to plug into the all-in-one device[ot]beyond that, i don't know, wait for a reply from someone with expirience of wireless[/ot]

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

HP C6180 All in one Printer I've not had any experience using it but does sound like what you want.

It has a built-in wireless 802.11g/b and Ethernet, allowing the users to have access to it either way.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:beer:, thanks Sniper, i knew it was possible, but i didn't know how

6. ben341

ben341 Geek Trainee

hi,

thanks for your help and suggestions, that HP device seems ideal, I think I am going to suggest that we get one.

Cheers again.
    Ben