Wo0p!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by ProcalX, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Yet another Milestone in my continuous linux education - I've just finished installed Gentoo64Bit on my computer :good:

basically with Gentoo (for those that don't know), you have to build & edit the operating system to your preference, - i've now got a succesfully working Gentoo AMD64 OS installed - and from what i can see working perfectly :D

About a month or two ago i managed to conquer installing Gentoo Standard - although it had a few quite significant problems with the kernel i beleive :D

- just pleased :p

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

Cool. Let us know how that 64 bit version works out.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

OK, what i thought was a succesful install of Gentoo - isn't lol

I'm getting hundreds of prelinking errors and gclib problems :/ argh

Gentoo is hard! ffs!

I think i'll leave it till i get back and install another os

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol dont give up procal if you change OS's it will have defeated you - persevere with that little bugger

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Boland there are several "commands" if you like for installing Gentoo (the non amd64), here's an example of FIRST one you have to use:

PHP:
    cfdisk /dev/hda && mkfs.xfs /dev/hda1 && mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/ && chroot /mnt/gentoo/ && env-update && . /etc/profile && emerge sync && cd /usr/portage && scripts/bootsrap.sh && emerge system && emerge vim && vi /etc/fstab && emerge gentoo-dev-sources && cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig && make install modules_install && emerge gnome mozilla-firefox openoffice && emerge grub && cp /boot/grub/grub.conf.sample /boot/grub/grub.conf && vi /boot/grub/grub.conf && grub && init 6
    Thats 1.

Then you have to do ALOT more!

except somewhere i'm going wrong with my 64bit version : /

6. Addis

Addis The King

I like OSs that are easy to install. Large amounts of code scares me.

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

on second thorts procal - give up use mandrake or something n00bish

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Personally I think Gentoo is kinda worthless for a production environment. :p It's probably the most unstable Linux distro, since it's typically in a constant beta (or even alpha) phase of bleeding-edge goodness. I'd never run it on a server unless I had to. Great for enthusiasts though, 'cause you always have the absolute latest! Slackware is the old skool distro, very rock solid; just about the polar opposite of Gentoo. I find "noobish" Mandrake and Suse to be a good balance between newer packages and stability, because they do have very reasonable release cycles. Mandrake tends to lean toward newer packages, while Suse is more focused on trustworthiness of packages.

P.S. - "Unstable" is a relative term. I'd rather use Gentoo on a server (or a desktop) in a production environment than *any* version of Windows, any day!

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I totally agree, the only reason i wanted to build my own Gentoo Install is it's a Very steap learning curve, and you learn a Huge amount about Linux in general.

One of the guys i play rugby with made Huge amounts of money in the dot com boom, working for IBM as a Linux & Network Consultant, he's a Guru at Linux basically - i mean this guy is seriously intelligent, he knows pretty much every single major programming language you can think of, anyway he said to me if i could learn to build myself a Gentoo install i'd learn huge amounts about Linux, - which i have. I do however also think that Gentoo has its practical applications other than just been bleeding edge technology :)

I'm going to Install Yoper tonight - a high performance Linux distro.

*i'm a huge fan of Slackware & SuSe - my 2 favourite distros :)

Slackware was the first distro i ever played with :good:

10. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yoper is a pretty cool distro, and it uses a lot of performance tricks right outta the box. I'm not really putting it down, but it's kinda flimsy as far as GUI tools, and it still needs a *lot* of polish. New users may find the included system administration tools weak and buggy, and therefore have trouble with the whole OS. Even so, a pretty good distro for a mid to high-level user who can properly utilize the standard GNU backend. :good: The software management tools kick butt BTW!

11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I was going to do it tonight, but i'm going to install it when i get my new bits :)

And AT i wouldn't call my self a "high-level" user ;) but thanks for the compliment anyway :) (not in Linux anyway - not at this very moment), i'd call myself "Linux Literate" :p