Won't detect HD on first boot

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Matthew Brantner, Oct 6, 2011.

?

Which chipset is better?

1. x58

100.0%
  2. P67

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Matthew Brantner

Matthew Brantner Geek Trainee

I have a HD that on the first startup it won't detect the drive, then it restarts and gives an option to boot from disk by hitting any key before countdown expires, but if you let it go and detect the next device automatically it will boot right up. It only happens once but it happens everytime I startup after a shutdown, or restart. So not a major problem but I'm just getting started in building computers and I'm just curious what is causing this to happen.

2. Wildcard

Wildcard Big Geek

Hi,

If you go into the BIOS, check for something called boot order and see if it is looking for another drive that doesnt really exist. Usually, the order of the list is the order it will try and boot to, so if it were floppy drive, CD drive, hard drive, it would first look to the floppy drive for an operating system, if it finds none it would then go to the cd rom, and then lastly would go to the hard drive. If you have more than one hard drive, it may be trying to boot to the nonbootable one first, in that case you would have to swap the boot order and see if that makes a difference.